CD-RW for Tiny PC -buying advice

derbytrader 12:52 21 May 2003

I am considering buying a CD-R or CD-RW to replace the CDROM/DVDROm my Tiny PC came with 4 years ago. It's a Pentium II 400MHz running Win98. I want to use it for a) backup b) storage of digital photos and c)copy of mp3 files for playing on my hi-fi.
Having read a number of topics my impression is I don't really need a re-writer as this would only be for my backups which I do 'come the blue moon' and I don't need to get the fastest model either - what would be an adequate model to go for?
Secondly my understanding is that the Tiny PC I have won't allow me to install a CD-R as well as my existing CDROM - is this a general Tiny thing? - certainly there doesn't seem to be any slots in the casing for additions. Thanks

BigMoFoT 12:56 21 May 2003

I do think that your PC isn't up to spec for a CDRW regardless of whether it is a TINY PC ornot

Confab 12:58 21 May 2003

Its probably one of Tiny's micro towers which unfortunately don't have any room for expansion. You'll have to either remove your existing drive and replace it or buy an external drive.

By the way the CDRW drive will burn both CDR's and CD RW . A CD rom drive will only read CD's

Confab 12:59 21 May 2003

I've got a PIII 450mhz running win 98 and the CDRW works perfectly well albeit that it only burns at a max of 8X. Its still very reliable.

Regards

_Treb_ 13:00 21 May 2003

Even fast CDRWs are farly cheap I just bought a 52 speed lite-on from dabs for £48 including VAT and delivery other speeds are cheaper. I've had CDRWs on my old 166Mhz and 650Mhz.

BigMoFoT 13:03 21 May 2003

That's exactly my point if you buy a brand spankin new 52X CD-RW drive with the latest software - it aint gonna work right on that spec - can really buy anyhting slower? I doubt the MOBO is ata100/133 compatible

derbytrader 14:28 21 May 2003

not sure from the above whether I'll be able to get one or not. Is it due to the fact it is a 400MHz PC? If it is worthwhile getting one, what would be the fastest viable speed to go for. Secondly does the 'burn proof' system mean it doesn't matter I have a slower PC anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?