CD-RW takes over computer

TechMad 08:58 03 Mar 2003

I have an Acer 1208A CD-RW drive. Recently it has been flashing its lights manically and when it does so it also causes HDD activity. It freezes the computer. The computer seems to pause more and more frequently

Pesala 11:08 03 Mar 2003

Any CD in the drive when this happens?

Could be trying to autorun a program.

TechMad 14:08 03 Mar 2003

This problem occurs even when there is no CD in the drive. The writing and disc activity lights flash violently. The drive works perfectly well when it writes to CD's The only program I have running concerning the drive is InCD, but this has not caused problems before.

Temporarily I have disconnected the drive and replaced it with an old CD drive. No problems with this setup, so there seems to either be a problem with the drive or its set up with WinXP. I suspect the drive because the mad activity starts before the computer has passed the memory / processor check. Any suggestions?

I had a previous CD-RW drive that went the same way, except Windows wouldn't load as it kept checking the drive. I wasn't able to check that drive because it had a SCSI interface and the other computers didn't have a SCSI connector on the motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017