is this CD-RW ok?

vienna1981 12:14 01 Nov 2003

Hi I am looking for a cheap basic cd-rw, and i found this one on ebuyer click here
I have had problems in the past with cd-rw and so do not want to spend a fortune on something that won't work or will have problems, also does anyone know of this cd-rw will work ok on windows 98se?
Thanks in advance.

spuds 12:21 01 Nov 2003

The reviews on this product seem okay, and I know that the PCA forum have suggested the products from this stable are very reliable and of good value. PCW are selling this or similar product for ?14.99 [pound sign!].

Stuartli 12:21 01 Nov 2003

In a word, yes.

LiteOn is a China based company selling a wide range of products, some of which are rebadged from other major manufacturers including CD and rewriter drives.

It has a very good reputation worldwide and you should have no qualms.

If you want to know whose drive products LiteOn rebadges go to:

click here

where you can discover the information required.

Stuartli 12:23 01 Nov 2003

The link you have provided is for a CD-ROM drive by LiteOn, not a rewriter.

However, you can now buy a rewriter from a respected make from ?25 upwards.

Tesman 12:24 01 Nov 2003

In a word,yes. Liteon drives have a good reputation for reliability, and I'm sure you'll find many forum members are using them without problems. It's a little slow by today's standards, but it'll do the job. And it is rather cheap...

Couple it with a copy of Nero 5.5, which is now also available very cheaply since it's recently been superceded by version 6.0, and you'll be away.

spuds 12:25 01 Nov 2003

Should have stated.The product illustrated in your link,is for a CD-Rom drive, not a CD-RW.A CD-RW usually start at around the 40 pound mark.

Stuartli 12:26 01 Nov 2003

Further:

Any rewriter will work with Windows - CD/DVD-ROM and CD-RW and DVD rewriters all use the basic Windows driver.

The most important thing is that your burning software will work with the rewriter itself and if it is not supplied with the drive, you will hve to upgrade it (usually free) from the software company's website.

Stuartli 12:27 01 Nov 2003

In a word,yes........:-)

Great minds think alike...

Tesman 12:28 01 Nov 2003

Doh.... Thought it was cheap for a rewriter!

leo49 12:29 01 Nov 2003

When I click on the link it shows the Liteon Liteon 24x10x40x IDE DRIVE which IS a CDRW.

vienna1981 12:29 01 Nov 2003

ok sorry i asked them to list all cd-rw drives and that was the cheapest one listed i thought the "24x10x40x" was related to the burning speeds? i'm confused now, someone should point out to ebuyer that they are listing cd rom drives in their subcategory of cd-rw

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?