CD-RW have become 'Read Only'

harriss 11:31 13 Nov 2007

Does anyone know why CD-RW discs have suddenly become write- only? Due to a very small hard drive I have for sometime been storing documents on a re-writable CD. This was fine up to about a week ago now all of a sudden I am unable to modify and save documents, add to the CD or delete items. Every time I try to make a change I get a window that says this ‘Folder’ is read only. I have tried un-ticking the read only box in properties but when I do I get another message that says ‘An error occurred applying attributes to the file. Access is denied’

I have tried making copying and pasting documents to a brand new CD-RW, dragging and dropping, saving to the hard drive and then trying to save to CD-RW but every time I get ‘Read Only’. The odd thing is that if I transfer a document from the CD to the hard drive and then make changes I am able to save to a floppy disc but if I try to copy from the floppy to the CD I still get ‘Read Only’. So every which way I try I can’t make any document changes.

Is the problem with the computer or the CD Drive. It’s a Samsung SH-182MRSMN 18x18 DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Lightscribe ReWriter , purchased December 2006.

Anyone got any ideas? Please, I’m desperate.

DieSse 11:41 13 Nov 2007

CD-RW can be made read-only so that they can be read in systems without writing software, or in other devices (audio CD players etc) that can't read them otherwise,

So somewhere in the software you are using is an option (usuall a tick-box) to make your CD-RWs read-only.

See if you can find the option. If not tell us what OS and what CD writing software you are using.

DieSse 11:48 13 Nov 2007

"So somewhere in the software you are using is an option (usuall a tick-box) to make your CD-RWs read-only."

I should really have said to "close or finalise" them - then the whole CD is made read-only, in the sense you can add no more data to it.

Remember a CD-RW is nothing like a hard drive, you can't just update files on it - you can record to it add file to it and erase it only.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?