CD-RW Drive "locked"

The Belarussian Mafia 13:32 06 Nov 2003

I use Adaptec Direct CD & Adaptec EasyCD Creator to write to my (Philips) CD drive.

I had no problems until I reduced the number of partitions on my hard drive from 2 to 1. Now whenever I place a disk in the drive, the icon on the task bar menu has a red lock next to the drive, and I'm told the drive is "locked". The Roxio website is next to useless. Anyone know what is going on?

By the way I remapped all drive partitions using Drive Mapper (that comes with Partition Magic), but I suspect something might have gone amiss.

Taff36 13:43 06 Nov 2003

You don`t say what OS you are using but check this out. CONTROL PANEL>SYSTEM>HARDWARE>DEVICE MANAGER (This is XP - you may have to improvise a little)then right click your CD rom drive and choose properties. Make sure that the device is enabled in the usage box.

BigMoFoT 13:48 06 Nov 2003

Uninstall and re-install Direct CD/Adaptec software

The Belarussian Mafia 14:07 06 Nov 2003

Taff36 - I'm on Win98SE. I went to My Computer - E drive & right clicked properties. The device was marrked "unlocked" until a disk was inserted, at which point the little red lock appeared. Right-clicking properties then revealed "locked".

BigMoFoT - I've already tried reinstalling the software, all to no avail, I'm afraid.

Newuser4165 15:07 06 Nov 2003

Try changing the drive letter to something other than E

alcudia 15:13 06 Nov 2003

What were the drive letters before you removed the partition. It's pssible that thingfs have become a bit confused and you may need to relabel.

The Belarussian Mafia 15:31 06 Nov 2003

I'll try this if folks are sure it is a possible fix, although it doesn't seem like a very neat solution. What meakes me feel cautious is that there does not appear to be any problem with the system actually "seeing" the drive - "E".

By the way, the CD-RW drive was previously F, the CD-ROM was E, 2nd hard disk partition was D & 1st was C. I simply got rid of D.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?