CD-RW drive `E`

steffano 21:17 31 Jan 2006

My CD-RW drive has been working fine until recently. Without warning the Autoplay has ceased to work. It will not read CD`s with data, downloads and holiday photographs - it shows the CD being blank (when on my laptop there is no problem). I checked XP device manager and it confirms the device is working correctly. I have downloaded microsoft autoplay repair wizard but that hasnt cured the problem. I get the report that either the device is not working correctly or the repair wizard is unable to fix the fault. I am not the best computer fixer so need guidance and help

Stuartli 21:31 31 Jan 2006

>>it confirms the device is working correctly>>

Not always correct though...:-)

Have you tried right clicking on the drive letter in My Computer and seeing if it will operate from the right click menu?

Even trying Windows Media Player's Play tab may give a clue as to whether it is operating as it should or whether the laser has given up the ghost.

Rewriters are not as robust or enjoy the same longevity as a ROM drive.

Stuartli 21:32 31 Jan 2006

One other thing to try would be to Remove the drive from Device Manager and then reboot - Windows will Find New Hardware and install the basic CDROM driver for the drive.

steffano 21:44 31 Jan 2006

Thanks Stuartli. Right clicking the drive letter in my computer fails to operate. I tried an audio disc via media player and no go again.

I will think about your suggestion about removing the drive from Device Manager. I`m not too clever when it comes to things like that and God forbid I get myself into deeper water

Stuartli 22:01 31 Jan 2006

It's nothing to worry about - the removal is temporary. It's not the same as physically removing your rewriter.

Just Remove (or Uninstall) the rewriter after highlighting it, right clicking and then clicking on Properties before Rebooting your system.

The worst scenario will be that you will be back at the point where you started...:-)

Stuartli 22:02 31 Jan 2006

But it does seem as though the drive has passed its sell by date.

A new one will be £15-£20 although a DVD rewriter wouuld be better and more future proof for another £10 or so (you can still burn CD-Rs).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:05 31 Jan 2006

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error
Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.
This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software.
Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes. click here

steffano 22:43 31 Jan 2006

Fruit Bat. Your solution may be ok but its beyond me. Thanks for taking the trouble to respond. Stuart, you may be right that the device is past its sell by date. I love Flight Simulators and fortunately with my Century of Flight I have a no cd program which allows me to do what I want without having the CD in the drive. Not so for some other flight simulators so I need to buy a separate plug in unit I guess to do what my existing device does - autoplay, read and burn CD`s. I have a DVD player but not a writer as well. If I call it a day with the existing unit and buy one of those off the shelf plug in devices am I going to be ok? Regards

VoG II 22:45 31 Jan 2006

Just click on this click here

steffano 21:45 01 Feb 2006

VoG. Thank you for your help. Downloaded the little program. Ran it but has not resolved the problem I regret to say. I have the autoplay repair wizard also which when run indicates that either the device is not working correctly or the program cannot determine the fault. The only other thing is possibly a lens cleaner (which a friend of mine says may cure it)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?