cd-r/rw unable to write

rien 15:16 01 Oct 2006

for some unknown reason this device will not allow me to write files to it. It reads OK though
I have checked and the device is enabled and driver seems OK
model is Sansung CD-R/RW SW 2008B
O.S Winxp SP2
I made the serious mistake of running "System Mechanic" on this machine and I suspect it may have removed some critical file.
My friend later told me he had run "system Mechanic" on his machine and it made a complete mess and had to be reformatted.
Be warned anyone who is considering this programme.

Ashrich 15:29 01 Oct 2006

Win XP SP2 has CD writing software built in , as you know , so try deleting the CD writer from Device manager and let Windows find it again , or , if you had any other software with it ( Nero etc.) uninstall it and then reinstall again .

Ashley

skidzy 15:38 01 Oct 2006

Just a word of warning,if you decide to uninstall Nero you could be left with a code 10,39 etc.This will cause your cd drive to appear missing.You will then need to clear the upper and lower filters via the registry.
This does not always happen but is a common problem with the likes of Nero/Roxio/Sonic burning software.

As Ashrich points out,deleting from device manager could possibly be the best route for now and let xp find the drivers on reboot.

Also have you checked:

Right click the cd drive via My Computer/Properties/Recording/Place a tick in Enable cd recording on this drive.

Gongoozler 15:44 01 Oct 2006

When you say that you have "checked and the device is enabled", I presume that you mean that you have confirmed "Enable CD recording on this drive" is ticked for the drive.

This also might be relevant click here

rien 09:02 02 Oct 2006

Thanks for all the advice but I am still unable to write to the device. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, looked for new drivers, shut down, restarted all these several times but the problem remains. Device manager says everything is enabled and OK.
Looks like I shall have to live with it for a while until I get some other bright idea.

EARLR 09:18 02 Oct 2006

Had similar problem with my samsung drive. Targa replaced it under warranty.
good luck

Gongoozler 13:46 02 Oct 2006

Why live with it? You can get a very good CD-RW drive for under £15 click here, you can even get a DVD-RW drive for about £20 click here

Gongoozler 13:49 02 Oct 2006

rien, I suppose that you cd writing software is recognising the drive as writable. What software are you using?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:46 02 Oct 2006

My computer - right click drive - properties - recording tab - tick box "enable recording on this drive"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?