cd rom sudden loss of read and write ability

ginger103 15:52 28 Apr 2005

on o/s xp home i have 2 cd rom units.On my LITE-ON LTR 523275 unit itried a cd and it refused to acknowledge the disc.I was happy with the disc one [ one have used often] i tried it in my other cd rom and all was ok.i have tried the uninstall/re install route.i checked the drivers,tried the device manager and troubleshooter all say the lite on cd rom is all ok.anyoe help????????

Diemmess 16:13 28 Apr 2005

But before you bin it, perhaps just try swopping data cables between your two devices.

Honestly, this is just how they die, without either warning or whimper. Another check (which may be physically difficult)- If you can hear the drive spin up slightly and then just as quickly die away instead of really getting going, that too is a bad sign. This is easier to see than hear but that means removing from its surround and taking a cover off.

If it is still under warranty return it but otherwise reconcile yourself to replacing it.

Diodorus Siculus 16:15 28 Apr 2005

Have you beein into "my computer" and checked the properties there; it may be that it has had the write option turned off.

As I'm not on XP, I can't point you directly the right way.

jack 19:43 28 Apr 2005

They do die laser goes etc - cheap to replace
try all the suggestions - swap cables [ power and data]
Also try a CD drive cleaner - you know a CD with a little brush and a bottle of fluid.

ginger103 19:55 28 Apr 2005

i was hoping.
i will try all the suggestions and any more you can think of .
thank you all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone