CD Rom reads only one after re-boot

Highlander1 08:31 19 Jan 2004

The problem is that the cd rom only works once when the cd is put in just as you switch on the computer and then if you eject it while in windows xp it does not read any cd again until you put the cd back in and then re-boot.
I have replaced it with a new cd-rom but still no joy, also i have uninstalled the drivers and changed the cable but still nothing.
Any advice / help would be great.
Thanks
MadH

xania 08:53 19 Jan 2004

This sounds like a corruption of what sometimes happens to me when I take out the CD whilst Windows THINKS it is still needed and I get the BSOD with the option to escape (if the CD removal was correct) or enter (if I still need the original CD). I doubt any hardware or driver problem - I suspect that Windows itself is corrupted. Now I'm a 98SE man myself so don't know much about later versions but I'm pretty certain that this little niggle is still there. Also, you don't mention your OS, so I'm guessing. If you still have a version that pre-dates your problem, revert to that, otherwise try, in this order:

1. SFC

xania 08:55 19 Jan 2004

Sorry - figure error.

Try:

1. SFC
2. Windows re-installation over the top
3. Clean Windows re-installation.

Highlander1 09:08 19 Jan 2004

The operating sys is window xp pro.
I think that i might have to reinstall windows xp :-(, but not sure what programs or files i will loose.

MichelleC 09:22 19 Jan 2004

You can still run sfc in xp:

command prompt, type sfc /scannow (note space) and it'll replace any corrupt or missing system files. It doesn't tell you what it's done like 98 (you can see from event viewer though).

MadHighlander 08:09 20 Jan 2004

MichelleC,
Thanks I will try that.

Cheers
MadH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?