cd rom problem

northy 21:29 24 Feb 2003

my cd rom has a problem ,it keeps asking to replace disc in drive and will not run any programmes, the drivers are installed ,no conflicks ,device manager says this device is working prperly ,have tried system restore ,and it is still the same
,any ideas please
thanks
peter

User-312386 21:33 24 Feb 2003

what you need is a cd cleaner kit click here

madboy33

User-312386 21:35 24 Feb 2003

what i mean is the laser cleaner, the above item is just an example

PC-WORLD sell laser cleaners for around £5.99p

northy 22:11 24 Feb 2003

thank you ,i do have a cleaning disc ,it is my daughters p c so we will try tomorrrow
will let you know
peter

cream. 00:09 25 Feb 2003

Is it the same drive? click here.

Stuartli 01:43 25 Feb 2003

The possibilty that a CD-ROM drive's laser needs cleaning is very rare - the drives are very well sealed and the only time this doesn't apply are the few seconds when the tray opens and closes.

Have you checked that there is sound via the headphone socket and that the leads are inserted correctly and positively.

If there are problems in respect of the former then it is likely that the drive is kaput.

Life expectancy of a CD/DVD-ROM drive is not exceptional (see manufacturers' figures for confirmation) and for a rewriter somewhat less.

A new top brand CD-ROM drive is about £12 to £15 and, even better, a DVD-ROM drive about £10 to £15 more.

If you really do want to try a CD laser cleaner then the discount stores sell them for around £1.99, but the money would probably be best put towards a new drive.

User-312386 09:06 25 Feb 2003

I stand to correct you here........lol

I had a cd-rom that was not working and cleaned laser and it works fine now mate

Also a few friends have had problems as well and i have fixed there drives with a quick laser clean

madboy33

:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?