cd-rom not detecting audio discs

hel333 14:30 04 Oct 2003

Having recently installed new HD I find everything (hardware) seems to be working OK but audio CDs will not play directly whatever programme I use. Windows Media Player says format not supported, other programs just don't detect a disc. Speakers OK, Data discs read OK, music can be extracted to HD eg by adaptec cd creator, and then can be played in preview mode. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling windows 98SE cd player, but that didn't help. I'm clearly missing something obvious. Any ideas?

hel333 14:33 04 Oct 2003

Oh, and "disc detector" is enabled, my cd and dvd drives are listed, so I'm a bit stuck. Ta.

johnnyrocker 14:33 04 Oct 2003

the 'unsupported format' message is a bit of a clue;) what format are they in?

johnny.

hel333 14:56 04 Oct 2003

These are just standard music cd's of the sort which my system would play automatically before I installed the new HD

hel333 14:58 04 Oct 2003

That is, sorry, they are in cda format.

hel333 15:02 04 Oct 2003

Also, they are being detected, as I can explore the disk in windows explorer, I just can't get any programme to play them. I can see all the tracks, but get no sound. Music from mp3s on my HD play fine through system, also can preview the tracks in adaptec (and hear them).

Valvegrid 17:18 04 Oct 2003

You probably need to associate the files to the application. Put the CD in and go to explorer, highlight the one of the cda files, then go to View then Folder options and go to the File types tab and see if the cda is associated to open with the player of your choice, if it isn't, you can make it so in that window.

Another way to try it is to highlight the cda file so it turns blue, then hold the Shift key down and right mouse click, the fourth option down in the menu says Open With..... click on it and this gives you the option of opening files with any application that's loaded on your system.

BTW there are some very good free players around that are much better than the Windows one, this is one of them: click here and it doesn't take over your machine like some of them.

Good luck

Paul.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone