CD-ROM inconsistent startup.....

WillyDR 19:07 22 Apr 2003

With some CD-ROMs my internal reader revolves up-and-down instead of getting to speed. Those CD-ROMs will either be readable or not... and this in a non consistent way, from time to time they are readable, sometimes they are not readable at all... What's the reason and what can I do to get a consistent readable CD-ROM ? Any impact of thickness of the CD or diameter of the central hole ?
Some CD-ROMs do not have any problem at all...

Thanx !

BBez 23:33 22 Apr 2003

test the cdroms that fail in another cdrom drive. If they read ok then possibly your cdrom drive is failing. I've just had similar problem and replaced the drive which read the cdroms ok now...

woodchip 23:42 22 Apr 2003

This can be one of two things, Try a CD cleaner, But if that does not work it cannot read the format as formates have changed over the years. When the speed is changing it is trying to read the disc you may have to pull the plug to stop it

tell 23:44 22 Apr 2003

I dont know if this will be of any help but some of the older cd roms had trouble reading thiner disks so we had to put an extra lable to get them to work, but as I say that was for some of the older one's

WillyDR 09:13 23 Apr 2003

but anyhow...thanx for the reflexions !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?