CD Rom and HDD on same IDE cable?

Ballie 13:36 20 Dec 2009

I have just ordered a new pc which will have a Asus M4A78-VM mother board it only has one IDE connector (it has 6 Sata's) the main hard drive will be on SATA and the CD rom will be on the IDE.

My question is can I connect a secound HDD on the same IDE cable as the CD rom dive? Because my current pc has a 300gb WD ATA hard drive which I would like to install as a back up drive.

GaT7 13:58 20 Dec 2009

"My question is can I connect a secound HDD on the same IDE cable as the CD rom dive?"

Yes, you can. Just ensure you get the jumpers (master/slave/cable select) right. G

sunnystaines 14:07 20 Dec 2009

make sure hdd is primary

Ballie 14:22 20 Dec 2009

Sunnystaines,

the hdd on the IDE cable will only be a back up/storage drive so are you saying that I should set this as primary and the cd rom to slave?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:56 20 Dec 2009

I should set this as primary and the cd rom to slave?

yes

or cd rom will slow down the hard drive to a crawl.

woodchip 16:04 20 Dec 2009

Set hard Drive on Plug CD on Middle set Jumper on Hard Drive to Master CD drive jumper to Slave

xania 17:30 20 Dec 2009

You might do better in invest in an IDE expansion card
(click here)
or even in an IDE/SATA converter (click here)

karmgord 17:35 20 Dec 2009

I thought no matter which is master & slave if they are on the same IDE channel the hard drive will slow down to the cd players speed when it is used.

woodchip 17:43 20 Dec 2009

Not on modern PC's that was with old systems. And its best top use a 80 wire IDE cable as this gives faster cleaner signal

howard64 17:48 20 Dec 2009

the master whether hard drive or cd goes at the end of the ribbon cable. The slave goes in the middle connector.

Ballie 18:57 20 Dec 2009

xania,

thanks for the link I have now ordered one, seems the best way to connect it to one of the SATA plugs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017