CD-ROM drive will not install

dolphinaber 14:51 24 Aug 2006

I have what I believe is a duff CD-Rom drive in my PC.
I have an oldish PC so thought I would put the CD-rom from that one in.
However when I switch on neither the D or E drives are shown in My Computer.
If I unplug the power cable from the D CD-Rom drive the E returns in My Computer which works perfectly.
Any ideas please?

skidzy 14:57 24 Aug 2006

If not shown in My Computer:

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code, 10, 39, etc., delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

If in any doubt,please create a System Restore point first as you will be editing the registry.

Hope this helps.

mad1234 15:01 24 Aug 2006

have you checked the jumper is set correctly in the back of the cd rom
ie master or slave
if your d & e drives are on the same ribbon cable you will have to make sure 1 is master & the oter is slave

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:41 24 Aug 2006

Agree looks more like a jumper setting problem.

dolphinaber 18:04 24 Aug 2006

Thanks all. No error codes showing Skidzy. Hope its something to do with the jumper as I usually manage to mess things up when I have to follow directions!!!
There is a cable marked slave which goes into the bottom drive the CD-rw in which is also where the jumper is plugged in. The CD-Rom drive above has no jumper in it. Should it. I have tried the jumper in the top one but still the same

jimv7 18:08 24 Aug 2006

Cdrw jumpered to master and the cd rom jumpered as slave.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:12 24 Aug 2006

Front loading drive install (with pictures)
click here

dolphinaber 18:59 24 Aug 2006

When you say jim cdrw jumpered etc can you make it a bit simpler please You mention jumpered twice .Should I have two leads then.
Fruit bat know doubt helpful
Sorry Im in my eighties and not equiped like I used to be!

dolphinaber 22:02 26 Aug 2006

Jimv7 can you please let me know if the cables should stay as they are. The bottom one which is marked slave on the cable and which goes to the
CD RW drive The one above which is the CD rom has the other cable in it. The jumper was in the bottom one of the CD RW drive. Is there another combination I can use.

greenlamp 23:05 26 Aug 2006

There are three settings for the jumpers master, slave and cable select. Master and slave are used with the older type of ide cable [40 elements I think] cable select with the newer type of cable [much finer in appearence, eighty elements I seem to rememember]. With the older type of cable if you have set the jumpers to master and slave then it doesn't matter to which of the connectors you connect each drive to. With cable select the master is connected to the terminal connector and the slave to the one in the middle, as you say the connectors are marked master and slave does this mean you have one of the newer type, so it could be that by setting jumpers to master and slave you could be confusing things. If you have any documentation for the drives it should show the possible jumper positions, if you haven't a visit to the drive manufacturers website[s] should turn up the information.

dolphinaber 21:54 27 Aug 2006

Well greenlamp I feel a bit of a fraud. Thanks by the way for your input.
Looking at the back of the CD rom drive I took out ( the faulty one) I noticed a small plug shorting out two pins ( the two pins on the right of the six)
I placed it in the same position on the one in the PC and hey presto I have two drives that work.
Thank you all for your help and I must say Ive learnt a bit more about PCs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?