CD-Rom drive query

frenchman96 10:14 28 Dec 2008

Have burnt backup to cd-rw disk but cannot read it, am being told "Windows cannot read from this disk.The disk may be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatable with windows"

Am using XP Home--Nero Express--can read/play audio disks--can open/read pics.

Am reasonable experienced user and have burnt/ripped/copied many disks.

Did a google for help and was told to do>>
r/c my computer
select manage
c/o device manager
open cd/dvd drive
select uninstall
ok
reboot
but its not helped

howard64 10:18 28 Dec 2008

if you used a backup prog rather than just copied to the cdrw then you will need the same backup prog running to read the cdrw.

frenchman96 10:20 28 Dec 2008

Howard

I did not use a backup prog, I simply burnt data from my docs etc to a blank cd-rw using Nero

howard64 11:07 28 Dec 2008

nero could be your problem - I have one cd burnt with nero that nothing including nero can read although it verified the disk after writing. I assume that other cds just copied to can be read ok? in which case you must try reading it from the version of nero that you wrote it from. If you use nero to write to a disk it is the equivalent of using a back up prog. Just right clicking a file and copy then going to the cd and paste means it is a simple copy not a written cd.

frenchman96 11:25 28 Dec 2008

Howard

I understood the first part but not this section

I assume that other cds just copied to can be read ok? in which case you must try reading it from the version of nero that you wrote it from. If you use nero to write to a disk it is the equivalent of using a back up prog. Just right clicking a file and copy then going to the cd and paste means it is a simple copy not a written cd.

howard64 11:36 28 Dec 2008

a cd or cdrw is just like another hard drive or usb stick. You can simply copy and paste as you would moving a file on your pc to another folder or hard drive etc. Writing a disk from nero alters the files almost like when you format a hard drive. It is no longer like the files on your hard drive.

brundle 12:01 28 Dec 2008

Not a good idea to put backups on RW media. The only time I know of that Nero will change the written files in such a way that they may be unreadable is if you use InCD packet-writing software. Does the disc work in another PC? Either the data was burned at too high a speed and/or the RW disc is losing its ability to store data.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Apps for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?