cd rom & cd rw FAILURE

meatlaff2 15:38 14 Mar 2003

Last week both my cd rom drive and cd rw drive both failed on me. There is power going thru to both drives, but when i insert a disc, both drives will not read the disc. The green light on cd drive just flashes on and off continuously. I have tried un installing both drives and re installing. No luck. I have physically removed the drives from the machine and replaced the cd rom drive with one I know that works, that works fine. A friend who builds computers says it's likeky to be a virus. I've ran Norton and it hasn't come up with anything. Is it possible for both drives to fail simultaniously? Would welcome any ideas b4 I go to buy new drives.

MAJ 16:02 14 Mar 2003

Yes it's possible for both drives to fail at the same time, meatlaff2, but highly unusal. You have done the correct thing in trying another drive on the IDE channel. But before going to the expense of buying new drives, I would try both "faulty" drives in another computer, just to be sure. Also try giving both the "faulty" drives a clean with a lens cleaning disk.

meatlaff2 19:04 14 Mar 2003

thanks Maj, fraid I don't have access to try drives in another comp and I can't use a cleaning coz nither of the drives "spin up" on inserting a disc. Both are set on auto run by the way.

meatlaff2 19:04 14 Mar 2003

thanks Maj, fraid I don't have access to try drives in another comp and I can't use a cleaning coz nither of the drives "spin up" on inserting a disc. Both are set on auto run by the way.

Stuartli 20:05 14 Mar 2003

This would seem to be a physical problem rather than the drives themselves - the chances of both drives failing at the same time is extremely remote.

For instance I've solved a friend's sound problem with a CD-ROM drive this week (no right channel on audio CDs, yet perfect sound on 3D demo programs) by replacing the audio cable; reinstalling made no difference.

It had been inserted the wrong way round into the drive some time back and been damaged.

You say you have tested the system with a CD-ROM that works - was the rewriter installed at the same time?

Have you checked that the drive letters are correct for both in Device Manager?

Sometimes reinstalling a drive means that D and/or E go missing and have to be reconfigured in Device Manager.

As for lens cleaners - drives are totally enclosed except for when the tray is opened and closed and dirt or dust on the lens is therefore rare. I've never had to use a cleaner in the last eight to 10 years or so.

Newuser3605 22:00 14 Mar 2003

I had the same problem. After disconnecting and reconnecting the cable to the motherboard 30 times, I tried out a spare cable and that sorted it immediately.
alpilgrim

meatlaff2 14:44 15 Mar 2003

Thanks Newuser3605, I've just stripped the "offending" cd rom drive and cleaned the laser lens etc, I'l go install it and try a spare ribbon cable. Still open to any more ideas. Will keep trying things until after weekend. Cheers

meatlaff2 14:48 15 Mar 2003

Thanks stuartli, thanks for help. No, the rw drive was not connected when I tried a cd rom drive that worked ok. was advised to try 1 cd drive at a time.

meatlaff2 16:36 16 Mar 2003

to "newuser3605"
Cheers mate, tried a new cable on cd rom drive, worked fine. had no luck with rw drive. But with both drives on same ide cable last week, i'm assuming the rw drive failed,then made it appear that both drives failed. Thanks a million, Was music to mi ears to hear the cd drive spinning up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?