CD Rom

eljanno 19:28 24 Feb 2003

Hi
Could someone give me some advice please,
I seem to be having a problem with my cd rom, in so much as it does not appear to be working, is there anything I can do to test it ect before I go and get another one.
Also please could someone tell me how to install a new cd rom (the bit about jumpers confuses me)
Thank's alot.
Jan

Stuartli 20:04 24 Feb 2003

Have you checked that the leads are all secure? Try a pair of headphones in the front socket and check for sound. Also that no sound facilities on any programs such as Windows Media Player have been muted in error (I'm presuming you can't hear any sound).

A new CD-ROM drive will cost between £12 and £15 for one of the top brands - even better would be a DVD-ROM drive for around £10 to £15 more. It will play CDs as well.

If you only have the one drive, then the jumper is set to Master; if you have a rewriter, then the rewriter is the Master and the CD/DVD-ORM drive the Slave. Enable DMA for both from Device Manager.

To install, switch your system off at the mains (leave the plug in for earthing purposes), note how the power lead, IDE cable and audio lead are positioned and then match up on the new drive.

It's best to use the CD/DVD-ROM drive for audio purposes as it will be more robust life expectancy wise than a rewriter, which is best kept for its key role of burning disks.

Installation of a CD or DVD-ROM drive is identical in the case of the leads, whilst you don't need any drivers as the generic Windows version is the only one required.

When you boot the system Windows should find and install the new drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?