CD rewriter seems slow

cdb 22:35 09 Apr 2003

I've just recorded a cdr at 24x using nero 5.5.10 and windows xp and packard bell 24x cdrs and it took 7mins 15secs. I'm sure cdrs didn't take this long before, more like 3-4mins. Any ideas?

RossThomo 23:46 09 Apr 2003

I had a similar problem to this which also continually emptied the buffer on write. It turned out to be the DMA mode for the CD. Go to device manager/IDE ATA controllers, secondry IDE channel (presuming the CD is on the secondry channel) and check that "DMA if available" is in the transfer box. If it has PIO mode only then this is the problem. Change to DMA and reboot, if this has'nt cured it (it did'nt at first in my case) then delete/uninstall the secondry IDE channel. Reboot, windows will re-install the channel and hopefully bobs your uncle all should be well.

Ross

Dave123 08:43 10 Apr 2003

I had similar problem, I think it was the fan on the CPU had stopped. Intel CPUs slow the clock speed down when the temp goes up. Writing to CD would fail near the end of the process saying the CDRW had run out of data, even though I was copying from the HD. Probably not your problem though.

cdb 16:35 10 Apr 2003

Well, my fan is very noisy (like a hammer drill)at times but I'm not sure which one it is. It does go quiet as if if has stopped but without opening the case I wouldn't know for sure. Mines and AMD athalon xp1800. I haven't touched any settings, but I'll check the dma settings.
Ta so far.

Ben Avery (Work) 16:42 10 Apr 2003

how much data are we talking about for the 7min 15sec burn?

Remember that with a CDR you'll be burning at likely 48x or even 52x NOT 24x so it will be a lot faster. Also take into account that even for a small file, the lead in and lead out can take around 2 mins plus.

Thereforw, 7 mins 15 secs is not a terribly long time if your burning a large amount of data. For a small amount of data, then ok, that's a little slow. I'm working on the principle that you are burning a cd which takes 3-4 mins on CDR, (at 48x) that's around 1.5 mins for lead in and lead out, then a further 2.5 mins burning. Let's suppose you burn the same to CDRW at (24x). The 1.5 mins lead in and out will be about the same, maybe 2 mins. Now double the time taken on the CDR (as it burns at half the speed).

2 mins + 5 mins (2.5 mins x 2) = 7 mins.

Give or take 15 seconds....

BA

Ben Avery (Work) 16:45 10 Apr 2003

sorry just re-read your post and realised that you aren't using CDRW's!

Ignore my philosophy!

Sorry!

BA

cdb 16:46 10 Apr 2003

It was about 650meg on a 24x cdr. You've lost me abit tho. Why does a 24x cdr record at 48x??

cdb 16:47 10 Apr 2003

ok consider yourself ignored. ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?