cd recorded on vista laptop

braiman 10:53 05 Sep 2008

I have a cd-r with photos recorded by a Vista laptop which I cannot transfer to my XP desktop. Are the different OS incompatable? Or is there another reason for failure? Can someone please advise? Rgds Braiman

baldydave 11:54 05 Sep 2008

Should be no problem,what format are the photos eg jpeg?(right click a photo go to properties)
Can you view them on the cd on xp machine?
What happens when you read the cd on xp machine?

chub_tor 12:05 05 Sep 2008

Not quite sure what you mean by "recorded by a Vista laptop which I cannot transfer to my XP desktop." Most photos taken with a digital camera are in jpeg format (suffix.jpg) and can be viewed in Vista and XP. You can "drag" the pictures from your CD drive on your XP machine that you want (typically My Documents/My Pictures) or to your desktop if you want, or to any other folder. You should also be able to view them on your CD-R by right clicking the CD drive and use Open or Preview.

If you really want to know the suffix that your photos have been recorded with open just about any window, click on Tools, Folder Options, View and untick the box that says "Hide extensions for known file types." When you refresh the folder you will see the file extensions and that will tell you if your pictures are jpegs or some other format.

braiman 15:16 05 Sep 2008

To clairify my query, my grandaughter has wedding photos on her laptop which has Vista OS, she recorded them on to a cd-r and gave it to me to view on my desktop which has XP OS, when I place the cd in the drive and click on my computer nothing happens. It would appear that my equipment is not recognising the cd. this made me wonder if items recorded via Vista are not compatable with XP. Or is it possible that the laptop recording did not work, I will try to get in touch with her to check this possibility.
I did try unchecking "hide extentionsfor known file types" but no luck there I am gratefull for all you quick responses thank you all. I will report after I get in touch with my granddaughter many thanks Braiman

skidzy 15:20 05 Sep 2008

Sounds like your Autoplay needs fixing click here

baldydave 15:33 05 Sep 2008

Are you sure it is a cd-r and not a dvd-r and you have a cdrom drive,sorry if this causes any offence but have seen this done
Can you ask your daughter what program she burned the cd? with

braiman 15:52 05 Sep 2008

I have tried the microsoft autoplay fix, nothing apparently wrong, have been in touch with grandaughter who promises to bring phots to me , in the meantime i shall try the cd -r
(it is a cd-r not dvd)on another PC similar to mine which should resolve whether it is a cd problem or a pc problem. once again thank you all for your advice it is much appreciated. When I resolve(if)the problem i will report. Braiman

100andthirty 19:20 05 Sep 2008

I suspect the CD needs to be finalised on the computer that created it so as to make the files visible on another one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone