CD-R shows full, when not!

badgery 10:03 19 Aug 2003

I have been copying photos to two CD-Rs (seperately, but more or less same content to each one) over a period.
One of the discs shows 11 MB used and loads of space left(a 700MB disc) but the other shows 10.6MB and now has no space left. This is when I checked under 'Properties'.
I have been using XP to do the copying.
As a relative novice anyone tell me where I might have gone wrong?

AndySD 10:11 19 Aug 2003

If you finalised (closed)the disk (even by accident) it will show as full.

badgery 10:33 19 Aug 2003

Thanks AndySD, but when I use XP for copying I am unaware of any finalising or closing that I could have used by mistake??
I have been thru the process again and again and never find a way?

simongy 10:49 19 Aug 2003

This has happened to me while using win2000. Even after copying one file its says there is no space left!! A cd has about 700Mb, you could waste your time and add all the files totals up and work out how much space is left!!

badgery 11:05 19 Aug 2003

Thanks, Simongy, but the disc is no longer useable (when I try to copy to it the message "the disc in the drive is not a recordable CD...")appears; so I don't need to know how much space is left - cos I can't use it , anyway! I need to find out what I may have done wrong to cause this to happen.

Confab 11:28 19 Aug 2003

A faulty disc can sometimes show up as full. Just make sure you back up the data on your disc.

The Sack 11:32 19 Aug 2003

You are not doing anything wrong, it is the way the file system works. AFAIK a CD will only show how much is left when it has been packet wrote in which case it has used a UDF file system.

badgery 12:10 19 Aug 2003

Re: reply from The Sack.
Sorry, but as a relative novice this explanation was totally indecipherable to me - now I need to explore AFAIK, 'packet wrote' and UDF file system!!!

Confab 12:43 19 Aug 2003

"AFAIK" - As far as I know

"Packet Wrote" and "UDF" are terms used when you use your CD drive like a big floppy so you an drap and drop files to the CD. It's used on a CDRW not a CDR.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?