CD-R Audio

guesswho2 19:24 18 Sep 2007

Could someone explain if there is any real difference between CD-R Audio and ordinary CD-R blank discs. In particular should I record audio to an audio disc and data to an "ordinary" disc - does it matter?

jack 19:36 18 Sep 2007

I dont think there is a difference between 'Audio' and 'Data' disks except the branding more of a sales ploy I imagine
Now watch this space- a Techie will confound us

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:37 18 Sep 2007

In particular should I record audio to an audio disc and data to an "ordinary" disc - does it matter?

No - its all hype

however you may find that an Audio disc is configure to play exacty a set number of minutes of CDDA (audio) files

SANTOS7 19:38 18 Sep 2007

The music i have burnt to disc is on the cheapest CD-R ( epro i'm useing at the moment) and the sound quality is not effected in any way...

guesswho2 19:47 18 Sep 2007

That would seem to confirm my own feelings. In the past I have recorded music several times as if it were simply data and it's sounded OK on hifi.
Many thanks folks.

Confab 20:01 18 Sep 2007

"Could someone explain if there is any real difference between CD-R Audio and ordinary CD-R blank discs"

There used to be a difference. Audio discs were to be used for audio CD recorders (you don’t see them any more). Audio CD recorders would only record on to audio discs not on to CDR’s or RW’s. There is absolutely no difference in sound quality between Audio CD’s and “normal” ones.

guesswho2 20:49 18 Sep 2007

Thanks for that Confab.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?