CD poss corrupted & d:\Access is denied

toofy 09:28 29 Jul 2010

Existing posts answer most of my worries but not all.So apologies for being dim.When I wanted to look at a 2008 CD copy of Family Tree before physically sending it to someone 50 years younger, Pc said it could not read the Cd: it was poss corrupted. So I inserted a brand new CD intending to do another copy of the file. However PC now responds "D:\is not accesible. Access is denied." I have XP Home edition. There is a link on a previous response with the caution 'read carefully or you could deny access to all files'. Should I be concerned that the CD is corrupted? Is there a procedure which will enable me to record/backup things on to CDs etc which will not end up with me unable to access all files if i c*ck up? Thanks for your help (PS.Please excuse if I do not respond/thank in the short term. Illness means the grey matter is not available all day every day)

Terry Brown 09:38 29 Jul 2010

Download a program called CDCHECK click here put you corupted CD in the drive and run the program in 'Recover' mode.
This will attempt to recover the CD onto a folder on your harddrive, from where you can create a new CD.

It may be the the CD is sticky or dusty, which is why it is not playing.

Put a small amount of Flash liquid (or similar) on a soft cotton cloth, and wipe the CD in a circular motion, starting from the centre and moving out.
Allow to dry (a few minutes and try again.

Terry

toofy 14:42 29 Jul 2010

Thank you Terry. I downloaded CDCheck which was not written for idiots like me. I was given a license number and told I would have to input it, but never was! I ran the prog in Recover: the corrupted CD could not be faulted. I formatted a new CD and copied my Family History file again. The warning about the driver being inaccessible did not appear. I successfully copied the file. Your help is much appreciated.

T0SH 17:08 29 Jul 2010

Maybe the clue is here

"I formatted a new CD and copied my Family History file"

it sounds like you are using what they call CD packet writing

For any other PC to read this disk it would also need to support CD packet writing

Roxio did have a small program to do this from memory it was called UDF Reader not sure that it is still available though

Why not just write the files to CD by selecting them and use the right mouse click option to send it to your CD/DVD writer

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone