CD Labels

Yeldarb 10:55 21 Oct 2009

I have a suggestion ; but I doubt if the various competing labelling companies would agree !
There are so many manufacturers of blank CD labels with so many variations in templates.

Is there a programme which can apply to all - the only factors needed would be (a) the diameter of the label - usually 117 mm and the x & y coordinates of the centre point with respect to the top and left edges of the template sheet.
Am I talking sense ?

BT 16:51 21 Oct 2009

You can create your own templates in Nero Cover Designer just as you describe, if you can't find one that's suitable in the included ones.

Technotiger 17:43 22 Oct 2009

Why not use Printable DVD/CD's and make your own 'labels'. Looks more professional than normal labels.

BT 17:54 22 Oct 2009

That s OK if you've got a suitable printer.

Yeldarb 19:14 23 Oct 2009

Your replies much apprecaited BT and Technotiger.
I have an Epson DX8400 which is not suitable for direct printing - but I would like to look into costs of suitable printer and CDs.
BT I tried the Nero Cover Design facility - but is not all that simple. I could print the label - but aligning it was not well explained. However, I'll keep trying and perhaps learn by making mistakes !!!

BT 08:50 24 Oct 2009

I agree about getting it aligned. It took me several attempts and involved a bit of tweaking, but it can be done. Its a good idea to make a note of the settings when you get it right, as if you ever have to re install you'll have to do it all again. I'e written all the measurements on the inside of the label box lid so I don't mislay them.

Sapins 20:43 25 Oct 2009

Just don't use printed labels on CDs you use in the car. or any other player with rollers. The labels will peel off, ruining the CD player.

Jim Thing 17:29 26 Oct 2009

I'm with Technotiger — direct printing is definitely the way to go for professional-quality results. I've used an Epson Stylus Photo R220 for the past few years and it's brilliant. Image positioning is easy, automatic and perfect, and the print quality is excellent.

Unfortunately that particular model is no longer available, but no doubt they turn up on eBay. I think mine only cost me about £70 from PCW — roughly the cost of replacing its six ink cartridges at Epson's daft prices. I replaced the original-fit cartridges with Choice compatibles and I've used Choice inks (click here) ever since.

Usual disclaimer: I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Jim Thing 17:46 26 Oct 2009

On a cautionary note: If you're tempted to buy on eBay, make sure that the plastic jig that holds the disk in place during printing is present and undamaged. It's a separate component (i.e. not part of the printer itself) and printing to disk is impossible without it.

Condom 23:24 07 Nov 2009

I use an Epson Stylus Photo R265 with a CISS system attached and the whole thing cost me less than £70 brand new. I bought the printer direct from Epson's replacement department for £40 and the machine that arrived in a plain brown box was clearly a new one. The CISS system cost £30 including the 6 large bottles of ink and I'm still using the original bottles 2 years later.

I use an American program called Surething Labeler which does every conceivable type of label you would ever need and is straightforward to use (you can get a trial month from the Internet and a paid version currently circa £15). Replacement cadies to hold your disks whilst printing cost about £12, which is really a bit of a rip off for a small piece of plastic but a necessity for disk printing so make sure you get one with the printer. No more off centre labels which clearly look out of place on the disks and no risk of them peeling off in your players. Just wonderful professionally finished disks which look real except they don't have the glossy look you can get with some expensive labels. My one gripe is why blank writable disk suppliers don't provide disks that end up with a glossy finish on them as surely it cannot be beyond them.

onionskin 01:08 14 Nov 2009

I was given a couple of CDs with labels on them a few years ago, after about 2 years the labels started to bubble up, lifting the silver coating off the discs and leaving them unreadable.
All I can say is, if you must use labels make sure you've got a backup copy of the disc. I use CD/DVD pens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017