CD error message

griffo 13:35 27 Aug 2005

Having just had to reinstall XP Pro on one of my laptops, I find that there are CD's that it cannot read. The message is " Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows". However, the CD's in question, work fine in other PC's.

Any suggestions please folks?

mattyc_92 13:41 27 Aug 2005

It could be your CD-ROM drive that you are using.... Have you got more than one CD/DVD drive? If so, try the other....

ACOLYTE 13:42 27 Aug 2005

What did you create the cd with? and have you installed that software,some software when it writes cd's encodes them so only the software used to make it can read it.

mattyc_92 13:47 27 Aug 2005

An example of what ACOLYTE is talking about is "Nero InCD" and "Roxio Drag-To-Disk"

mattyc_92 13:47 27 Aug 2005

An example of what ACOLYTE is talking about is "Nero InCD" and "Roxio Drag-To-Disk"

griffo 14:01 27 Aug 2005

The laptop is an HP Omnibook XE3 with a Toshiba SD - C2502 DVD ROM. It allowed me to install Norton Systemworks 2003 but it's my MS Office 2003 CD that won't work (trying to reinstall stuff after having to reinstall XP - had a major problem!). The CD is OK 'cos it works in other PC's.

mattyc_92 14:03 27 Aug 2005

Try cleaning the lense (you can buy a lense cleaner for about £1)

griffo 14:04 27 Aug 2005

sorry, didn't answer your question. This is a downloaded version of Office and was burned using Nero 6 but, as stated, it runs fine on other PC's that don't have Nero or any other burning software on them. I have put the CD into the PC I'm writing this on and, whilst it doesn't autorun, I can search it in Explorer.

ACOLYTE 14:10 27 Aug 2005

Is this a paid for version of office? i dont mean to be rude but im sure i read somewhere that you can only do 3 installs of office on 1 pc
dont know how true it is i have never used it.

griffo 14:11 27 Aug 2005

Update
just put my Diskeeper 8 CD in and that autoran OK. So it does seem to be connected with this CD burned via Nero. It was downloaded in a format that allows for burning onto CD rather than just installing (can't remember what it's called).

mattyc_92 14:13 27 Aug 2005

ISO format no doubt.

How many times have you installed this program? As if ACOLYTE's post is correct, you may need to contact Microsft and ask them what to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?