c.d and dvd problems

sidley 22:32 09 Jul 2009

Hope someone can help cause this prob is doing my head in. I have been trying to burn ts files with nero and all I get is a message saying "you have selected a disc type that is not supported by your hardware drives". Nero then wants to write to the image recorder. So I cancel and then get told " sorry, the current recorder supports only the following disc types" but I have tried all disc types and the result is the same. I have all types of discs and the message is the same. I have all the windows updates, so what can I do to sort this?. I have a dvd rom and seperate cd rom, I am correct in using cd to burn?. The dvd is a toshiba dvd-rom sd-m1612 and the cd is asus crw-4012a. Forgot to say I have tried to update nero aswell but nothing seems to make any difference.

Confab 22:45 09 Jul 2009

What type of discs are you trying to write to? It seems from your drives that you have a CDRW drive and a DVD ROM which means that you can burn CD’s and not DVD’s

BRYNIT 22:51 09 Jul 2009

A quick search of the web found this click here

HDTVtoMPEG2 can be down loaded from click here

I Don't know if it will work.

sidley 22:52 09 Jul 2009

thanks for your response, I have tried dvd+r, dvd-r and cd-r and I have tried the discs in both the dvd rom and the cd and the results are the same

Confab 23:01 09 Jul 2009

Don't think that DVD RW's will work with your drives so you can't burn a DVD. You'll have to burn something like an SVCD click here

sidley 23:09 09 Jul 2009

ok, so you are saying I can only burn cd's and need to buy a dvd re-writer before I can burn any dvd's

Stuartli 23:20 09 Jul 2009

Yes. But a DVD rewriter will burn both CD and DVD media.

A new, top brand model will cost less than £20.

The DVD-ROM drive should preferably be used for playing audio CDs, installing software, watching films etc and a DVD rewriter purely for burning purposes.

You will then/should get the maximum lifespan from the rewriter, a device which is not a robust as a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM optical drive based on manufacturers' MTBF figures.

sidley 23:26 09 Jul 2009

ok thanks. one last question, where is a good place to buy one. I am in france for a while so need to buy and get posted to france

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?