CD-DVD not recognised

osben 17:57 14 Sep 2006

Hi

I tried to access my cd-rom and dvd drives earlier and get (ERROR 19) message come up. I have tried going into device manager and uninstalling them both and then re-installing using the install new hardware wizard but I get a message telling me that the configuration information in the registry is incomplete or corrupt.

I have no idea as to what happened to bring this problem on.

I have also tried going back to my last and only "restore" point but that has not helped.

I am using XP sp2 home edition

Any ideas as to how I gan get back on track.

Regards

GaT7 18:26 14 Sep 2006
  skidzy 18:36 14 Sep 2006

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code, 10, 39, etc., delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

osben 08:01 15 Sep 2006

Hi Guys

Thanks for your reply - I'll give it a try later today and get back to you.

Thanks again.

Regards

osben 11:03 15 Sep 2006

Hi

crossbow7
Have just done as you suggested and followed the instructions from the Microsoft site you gave.

I installed and ran the "GUIDED HELP" programme but it came up with the following fault:

RESOLVE CD ACCESS PROBLEM
upper and lower filter registry values that caused the CD access problem do not exist on your computer Click help and support for additional support.

Did that but no use.

skidzy - the error code showing is error 19 does what you suggest apply to this error code?

Any ideas

regards

skidzy 15:22 15 Sep 2006

Yes Osben,it does apply to you situation im afraid click here Bookmark this link as its very handy for future reference.

osben 15:48 15 Sep 2006

Hi

skidzy - thanks for your reply.

The message I got (as above)

RESOLVE CD ACCESS PROBLEM
upper and lower filter registry values that caused the CD access problem do not exist on your computer.

Am I being thick. If this is the problem, how come you suggest in your solution to Delete them. Even if I could (which I can't because they are not there) wouldn't this produce the same sort of problem.

How do I get them back into the registry?

Regards

GaT7 15:56 15 Sep 2006

Try this patch click here.

I'd recommend setting a Restore point prior to attempting. G

osben 17:38 15 Sep 2006

Hi

crossbow7 - it worked - thanks a lot, saved me a lot of agro.

useful little programme.

Regards

GaT7 17:45 15 Sep 2006

I'm glad that worked : ) G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:45 15 Sep 2006

Surprisingly enough the VBS script you downloaded and used just does automatically what you were trying to do manually (remove upper and lower filters).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?