CD and DVD drives vanished when pen drive added

dbrae 23:49 31 May 2004

I installed a pen drive. After installation the pen drive took on designation "D" and my DVD and CD rewriter drives formerly "D" and "E" vanished. As far as Windows 98 is concerned the CD and DVD drives no longer exist even after removing the pen drive programme. The drives do not show up in device manager or in a search for new hardware. Physically disconnecting the drives, booting up, shutting down and reconnecting the drives has not restored them. Installation of the pen drive on a different Windows 98 machine where the CD drive is designated "Q" has caused no problems. Help !!!

VoG II 23:51 31 May 2004

Did you load the drivers from the CD before plugging it in ?

dbrae 09:48 01 Jun 2004

can't rememberfor sure, think I installed it using "find new hardware" routine, so probably not.

johnsims 11:02 01 Jun 2004

Win98 will need the drivers that came with the usb pen drive, unlike XP, 98 cannot deal natively with these types of drives.
Remove the pen drive from device manager (if it is there), reboot and on reboot install the drivers from the CD following the instructions that came with it. Win98 should then show it as a removeable drive with a letter assigned AFTER all your existing drives.

dbrae 17:10 01 Jun 2004

Can't reload anything as my machine thinks it has no CD / DVD drives, this is the whole problem. The pen drive has been removed along with it's software.

dbrae 12:11 21 Oct 2004

Formatted the hard drive and got the disk drives back. Lost all the data though !!

Stuartli 12:33 21 Oct 2004

Then you probably deserved to do so, especially if you haven't backed it up.

Pen drives and similar require drivers unlike later editions of Windows such as 2000 and XP; I think ME comes into the category as well.

Your pen drive, digital camera output etc should show up as a Removeable Drive (either under the letter R or the next in line after your CD-ROM, rewriter etc), which will only appear when you connect one of them to your system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?