CD & DVD drives gone silly again!!

Stressed Mum 21:52 01 Oct 2008

I know you’re not going to believe this – but it is true! My DVD and CD (E & D) are all messed up again!! I’ve just read through the similar thread I made last year at about the same time! Simply can’t go through all that mess again – got to be an easier way??

click here

So; today I needed to send a CD into school of some documents. Easy, or so I thought! Copied documents and put new clean and tidy CD into drive E to past over. Should be straight forward, normally there is a little balloon somewhere telling me that the files are ready to copy etc – but no – I get a message saying ‘E’ not accessible. Incorrect function. So I try ‘D’ – message – please insert disc.

Not to be put off too much I use ImageBurn to copy files and burn to CD in drive ‘E’ worked ok.

What’s happening?? Running XP SP2.
DVD/CD-ROM drives =
_NEC DVD+-RW ND-3530A and
HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8485B

Checked device manager and tried updating – but nothing coming up there. So do not understand how this can ‘just’ happen. ANY help would be very much appreciated. Thanks. SM :(

rdave13 01:18 02 Oct 2008

Well, free burning programs are as all right as windows' own, IMHP.
Try Ashampoo's burning studio 7, google it, I think you may have a few days to trial it.
If it recognises your drives then fine. Wait for the 'wonderful "special offer" via email', as you'll need to register to download it, then use the thirty days of that trial, or whatever it is, then it's up to you. Should get it for a tenner. If the program works and recognises you drives, then don't uninstall any previous 'burners' on your Pc in case 'upper and lower' filters are corrupted. (Don't ask...).

MCE2K5 01:34 02 Oct 2008

Ashampoo Burning Studio Free 6.71 click here

Stressed Mum 08:01 02 Oct 2008

ok - so this is to do with windows then? Why would it keep doing this. Anything to do with SP2/3?? I remember moons ago when I updated to 3 my scanner went mad. So I've stuck to 2.

Stressed Mum 09:26 02 Oct 2008

I have just tried to do this following a similar link by skidzy. When I get to the point of selecting 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 - and highlighting - I do not see any upperfilters or lowerfilters at all listed. That's a bit odd not?

rdave13 11:37 02 Oct 2008

Shot in the dark here. Do you use a registry cleaner program? If so try a restore from within the program from a backup. Worth a try.

Stressed Mum 12:06 02 Oct 2008

Gosh! I have tried so many over the past year - don't have one that I keep. Found most of them charge £'s to actually clean it. I do use CCleaner regularly?? Never quite sure what I do when I run that!

Stressed Mum 12:15 02 Oct 2008

I have justed checked my ccleaner. There is an option there for Registry clean. I do 'think' that this has been run recently! When I check for issues now - there's loads of stuff - but the number referred to is not there - loads like it though??!!

Stressed Mum 14:25 02 Oct 2008

Just reversed last 2 cleans - no change.! :( Can anyone suggest anything else please.

Technotiger 19:06 02 Oct 2008

Hi, it is just possible that both your drive lasers (especially if there are or have been, ciggy smokers in the area) need cleaning - a DVD/CD cleaning disc does not cost much and can be a life-saver!

click here

Stressed Mum 21:46 02 Oct 2008

No to that one! Have cleaned them anyway - but odd thing is they both work of a fashion - cds will play with WMP but not itunes as get message saying there is a problem and need to reinstall. DVD's play without sound in WMP but not my other DVD programs at all. In fact system simply will not aopen anything else! Tying to copy anything to DVD (E) just cannot be done and disc not showing as inserted into D when copying. Have just tried several restore points - all no good and now I am going through all the discs from Dell in the hope that I can pick something up there on repair. Don't know what I'm doing. Will probably blow the lot up!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?