CD & DVD drives failed

wobbler 08:05 08 Feb 2006

Windows XP. Both my CD and DVD drives wont work. The are detected in the BIos Ok but are not shown in "My Computer". They were installed as master and slave on IDE2. I have tried a new drive, tried on IDE1 but still cant get either the origibal or the new one too work. The new works OK on another PC. I cannot run cmd/sfc as the program keeps requesting the Win XP Cd which I cant play!!! The Drives are shown in device manager with asterix against them both. Pleeeeeeease help.........

Gongoozler 08:23 08 Feb 2006

Put your new drive as slave on IDE1, you should then be able to try a repair of Windows.

Stuartli 09:10 08 Feb 2006

You need to check again that the connections and leads are correclty and firmly secured and that the rewriter (I'm assuming that the DVD drive is a rewriter) is jumpered as Master and the CD drive as Slave.

Then Uninstall both from Device Manager and reboot. Windows should then Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDROM drivers, which are all that are required.

It's the burning software that allows the use of a rewriter for its intended purpose.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:10 08 Feb 2006

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error
Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.
This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software.
Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?