CD Drivers need to be installed every time

Sylv 09:13 24 Jan 2005

I have re-formatted a PC with Windows 2000. It works fine except I have to reinstall the CD drivers every time I want to use the CD. How can I sort this so that the drivers are installed and they stay installed?

Zaphod Beeblebrox 09:18 24 Jan 2005

normally you wouldnt have to install drivers for a cdrom windows should have drivers for it but if you have installed drivers are they the correct ones for your operating system

ventanas 09:23 24 Jan 2005

I don't understand what you mean, optical drives do not require any drivers. All that is necessary for them to work is built into Windows.

Sylv 09:25 24 Jan 2005

I had no problems whatsoever installing Windows 2000 and other software. When I reboot the machine and go into My Computer, there is no D: drive showing, only C: and A: I have to go to the Add New Hardware to reinstall the drivers for the CD and then the drive letter appears.

Zaphod Beeblebrox 09:41 24 Jan 2005

check your bios settings has the bios detected a cd drive

Sylv 09:48 24 Jan 2005

When I installed Windows 2000 I reset the BIOS so that it looks for a CD first in the boot sequence

Sylv 12:02 01 Feb 2005

Solved the problem - it turns out that the boot sequence has to be hard drive, floppy drive, cd drive. This is not the case in all the PCs I work with, but it seems to work in this case.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Sylv 12:02 01 Feb 2005

Solved the problem - it turns out that the boot sequence has to be hard drive, floppy drive, cd drive. This is not the case in all the PCs I work with, but it seems to work in this case.
Thanks everyone for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?