CD Drive will not accept eject command

fazer 12:38 27 Jun 2005

Please help:

The last couple of days my CD's will not eject from the drive and am having to resort switching the computer off, then restarting it just to get the thing out.

Have tried pressing the eject buttton on the casing, ejecting it from Explorer, task manager - to no avail.

The CD is actually being constantly read (I can hear the motor running)and the fault effects all kinds of content - adobe, work documents etc.

Nothing is listed in Device manager to hint at a problem.

(Windows XP)

Graham ® 12:43 27 Jun 2005

This can happen if you ejected or switched the comp. off whilst the drive was busy. The quickest solution would be System Restore.

fazer 12:50 27 Jun 2005

I initialy though that that may have been the problem, but every CD since is acting in the same way even after closing the particular programme correctly.

Am I to assume from your reply that you think this is a software issue as opposed to the drive itself being faulty?

Ironman556 12:53 27 Jun 2005

Have you deleting the drive from the device manager then rebooting? The PC will find the drive again.

Graham ® 13:08 27 Jun 2005

Difficult to say which, as Ironman556, try deleting the drive and let windows find it again.

fazer 14:18 27 Jun 2005

Thank you both. Will try as you suggest when I get home.

Graham ® 17:17 27 Jun 2005

Another possibility: an anti-virus program is scanning the disc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?