CD Drive stopped working

Minkey1 15:46 20 Dec 2005

Hi folks. I'm using a desktop and 2 lappys to do some audiobook work. Suddenly, one of the laptops - Sony 2.8 P4, 512 RAM, XP Pro - has stopped reading CD's. Device Mgr shows the drive as working normally, and the Troubleshooter offers no solution.

I've tried Update Driver, no change. I can try System Restore but wondered if anyone had any other ideas first ? Presumably if there's a physical fault, a restore point won't help. The discs read fine in the other PC's.

Any suggestions ?

Regards

Mike

Doire_Bhoy 15:53 20 Dec 2005

Have you tried a cd lens cleaner?

You could
Insert any CD. Open a DOS session.

Enter WinMSD at the DOS windows. Check Hardware Resources for possible hardware conflicts. Also, under Components, select CD-ROM, check all details (e.g, media loaded, name, status, driver.

If everything looks kosher, you are likely looking at faulty hardware
> Insert screwdriver & remove PC case, delete cd drive, insert replacement drive, reload PC case. Load CD driver, test CD

Minkey1 16:40 20 Dec 2005

Doire_Bhoy

Many thanks. Not having a lens cleaner, I started playing - big mistake. First I removed the drive then reinserted it. The "Safely Remove...." icon moved in the Notification Area, so I clicked on it, thinking a reboot after might redetect the drive and kick start it.

Oh dear. Now the drive is not displayed in Device Mgr, nor listed in System Info, using your DOS cmd above, nor is it found in "Add New Hardware". No conflicts/problem hardware etc are listed in Sys Info.

Is it trashed ? If I can source a new Sony CD drive, is it just popping it in, and following the "Add New Hardware" routine ?

Minkey1 17:29 20 Dec 2005

Since the above I've done a System Restore, and the drive is now once again "seen" in Dev Mgr and Sys Info, which say it is working normally - except it isn't.

I've just realised the laptop is still (just) within warranty so unless anyone's got any more ideas to kick start it I'll ring Sony and mark this ticked.

Cheers

Mike

WhiteTruckMan 18:13 20 Dec 2005

insert a disc and try to get a directory reading. do this with a cd and a dvd. if you get a message code CDR101 then its rogered. probably the laser. replace drive as cannot be repaired.

WTM

BTW, if you use some external method of booting to a dos prompt the do remember to pick the option enabling cdrom support.

Minkey1 19:28 20 Dec 2005

Thanks WTM, sorry, I only know how to open the Cmd Prompt in XP - is there a specific command to key ?

Boot order is set to CDRom first, but nothing happens with our restore disc in, XP just loads normally.

Mike

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:47 20 Dec 2005

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software. Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes. click here

Minkey1 19:55 20 Dec 2005

Thanks Fruit Bat, but as above the drive is listed in My Computer, Device Mgr, and System Info, the latter two saying the drive is enabled & working normally, except it isn't.

I get no error messages, just nothing happens, with audio/data CD's or DVD's. It went midway through a big ripping job. Thinking back, it has got noisy the last few months.

Funnily enough, Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 is on this machine and is OK (or would be if the drive worked) and is not uninstalled.

Mike

Minkey1 21:07 20 Dec 2005

Any ideas ?

stalion 21:12 20 Dec 2005

new drive, to replace connect new one exactly the same as the old one windows will detect it as new hardware

WhiteTruckMan 08:35 21 Dec 2005

sorry took so long replying.

better if you can boot to dos (with a floppy) but as I said before, be sure to select the enable cdrom support option. If you cant boot with a floppy, use the command prompt, but a floppy is better. reason is, it completey rules out your existing windows installation as a source of any problems.
anyhow...

once at a dos prompt, type

d:

<enter>

assuming D is your drive. if you boot from a floppy then it might load some tools into a virtual drive created from RAM and assign your cd drive letter to this, bumping the cd down a letter. but it will tell you this. in which case type e: then enter.

once you have the cd drive as the current drive, insert a disc then type

dir

<enter>

(repeat this with both cd and dvd discs)

If you get any kind of directory structure (list of files and folders, but some might seem strange as dos is limited to file/folder names of 8 characters, not including the file extension) then the drive is ok.

most drives in my experience use different lasers to read the 2 types of discs. if one goes, then you cannot repair them.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires