cd drive not working on xp set up

andrewmahoney 22:47 07 Jun 2006

im half way through reinstalling xp useing the R utillity.setup copyed new files and rebooted the pc.at the prepairing installation page setup will be complete in 39 min.... i get a message saying...missing files,setup needs to copy files from xp sp1...there is also a line saying..GLOBALROOT\DEVICE\CDROM1\I386..ive tryed all the drive letters from a to z nothing! when i cancel i get a fatal error message saying setup was unable to start service tabsrv because of the following error...open service (tabsrv)returned error 1060 (424)

woodchip 23:23 07 Jun 2006

If you have a different CD drive try connecting it temporary. just with the ribbon cable and power cable with it in the bottom of the box

andrewmahoney 22:18 08 Jun 2006

Thanks,tried it but no joy.All three cd drives where recognised in bios,but none after xp started.Do you think it's anything to do with a corrupt register?

woodchip 23:09 08 Jun 2006

Could be, does the drives show in Device Manager? if they do click on the drive and unistall then restart you computer as this may get it working

woodchip 23:10 08 Jun 2006

That if you can still get into windows in Safe mode

andrewmahoney 23:16 08 Jun 2006

no i cant.im sure ive seen somewhere an article on how to remove and then re-enter the command lines.i will have a search.

woodchip 23:42 08 Jun 2006

Why not use Killdisk. Then start from fresh with the XP CD click here

andrewmahoney 08:11 09 Jun 2006

thanks,but not an option.i need to save the files on the drive.still searching for the link to the site that gides me through re installing my register.its there somewhere!

woodchip 10:00 09 Jun 2006

This restore your Registry click here

andrewmahoney 23:46 09 Jun 2006

I have tried this, which works....it enabled me to gain access to my normal xp system although I could not complete part 2 because I could not gain access to the 'system volume information' files. So I tried 'system restore' again which put me back to square 1 one. So tomorrow I will repeat the exercise and try again to get into the system volume folder.I'll let you know how I get on....thanks for your help.
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

andrewmahoney 18:55 11 Jun 2006

ok.. ive got back in to xp!! bad news is that although all the programs,files,etc are all there i seem to have lost my two cd drives,and when i try to open any program it does nothing.i seem to be able to get in to the windows programs,ie my computer,my music etc tryed restore but there are no restore points,tryed the recovery disk useing chkdsk /r no difference.last thing i tryed was trying to repair windows by pressing f8 and then sellecting repair,but this put me back to square one as windows setup cannot access the cd drives after it gets to the prepaireing installation stage.if there was some way of copying my files to cd,i can format and start again......help!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)