cd drive not burning

mr.rew2 00:20 03 Feb 2007

help please, my cd drive no longer burns discs.
philips drive on a iqon pc with xp and all updates. tried wmp and real player, tho real player burns half an album then gives up,been into help and support-system information-error log, and it says i've had a lot of "bad block'S".
Any ideas as to why and can i fix it?
cheers

Diversion 01:40 03 Feb 2007

How old is the CD Writer. I had to replace one after only 9 months and I only used it about 15 or 16 times, because I was using my DVD writer for burning both CD's and DVD's. Now I use my CD writer for CD's music or data, and just burn DVD's on my DVD writer because it also burns the DVD image onto the other side of the DVD's.

Ben 216 03:06 03 Feb 2007

Have you tried burning the discs slower? And check that you have some form of buffer under-run protection enabled.

*If you're PC's not under warranty* then you could take the side off and without touching anything else check that the cables to the drive are firmly connected.

Many drives are not built to last long now because they're quickly outdated, and can be produced cheaper. As Diversion says, if you're drive is approaching a year or more then (ie. is just about out of warranty), or if it's had heavy use then it may be that it's just worn out. You can pick up a good CD/DVD writer now for <£30 delivered! click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?