cd drive keeps ejecting

castiel333 11:39 04 Dec 2006

I put a cd, which had a crack in it, into the disc drive and the disc shattered.

Now the drive will not stay closed everytime I try to close it it just ejects after about five seconds.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could please tell me how to resolve this as I dont know anything about hardware.

The cd worked fine in my cd player so I stupidly thought it would be ok to use in the pc.

ACOLYTE 11:47 04 Dec 2006

It may be you have a piece of the shattered cd still inside the player,and this is causing it to keep opening.
Take the cd player out of the pc and have a look with the cd drawer open see if you can see/hear anything moving around.
If you are able you may be able to take off the covering from the player and get a better look,but doing this may well invalidate any warrenty on the player so i will leave that choice upto you.
You could have damaged the drive mechanism as well
so it may be cheaper to get a new player.

castiel333 11:52 04 Dec 2006

Thank you for your reply.

I can hear pieces moving about so I will try your suggestion now.

Every so often the drive goes back in on its own but ejects again. Is it possible that by doing that the mechanism may still be ok?

castiel333 22:00 04 Dec 2006

Ive taken the front cover off but Im not sure how to get the cd drive out or how to tell that the mechanism has broken.

skidzy 22:06 04 Dec 2006

You will need to open the case and release a couple of screws to move the cd drive around,like ACOLYTE says...leave the draw open.You may be able to tip the loose pieces out.

castiel333 22:11 04 Dec 2006

Thanks skidzy I will try that now and will post back with the result.

skidzy 22:15 04 Dec 2006

Make sure you turn the power off with the cd drawer left open !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?