CD drive disappears while installing win98

mine 22:25 31 Mar 2003

HI

I've been trying to install win98 on a new hard drive that I fitted myself. Everything works fine until the first restart of windows, then the cd drive disappears and I can't complete the installation. I've been told that I should transfer the CAB files to the hard drive and install from there. Does this make sense to anyone? If so how do I do it.

Any help much appreciated

woodchip 22:43 31 Mar 2003

This is how, first reformat C: then start with your win startup disc choose start with CD rom support then as you know how to find the drive letter to use already type this at your CD drive letter it should look like this with X being your CD drive letter. And your Win98 cd in the comp.

X:\copy Win98 C:

When you have done that just run the setup file in the win98 folder on C:\ you do not then need your CD to setup. Better still is if you have another partition copy the win98 folder there and leave it to restore file's or use for repair after you are up and running

mine 23:29 31 Mar 2003

Hi woodchip

Thank you for the rapid response. I've followed your advice and the pc in question is now happily loading win98.

Your help is much appreciated.

woodchip 23:36 31 Mar 2003

Glad it worked If you still have prob's with CD after come back with new post

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?