cd drive

rachel84 11:48 07 May 2006

I was wondering if anybody could tell me how long I can burn and erase a cd on a drive before I risk destroying it? I'm a sound artist doing a piece for my degree show and I want to run three laptops for about ten days in total - roughly six hours each day. If i slow down the write speed as much as possible and give them an hour break each day ( say 2 and a half hours each side) am I still running a huge risk of destroying the drives? I can rotate the computers Im using for the actual show itself but there are a few days where Im being asessed and wont be able to go into the room where they're running. Also does anybody know how expensive it is to replace a cd-drive? for my own lap top its a risk im willling to take but as im borrowing some I will need to replace anything if it breaks. All i hear is hugely expensive - but how huge exactly? Any ideas would be hugely appreciated.

Totally-braindead 12:16 07 May 2006

Regarding the price of replacement laptop drives they vary enormously between makes for example Dell click here about £100, depending on make you might get a replacement for as little as £60 perhaps. I have never run a writer like this for as long as you are considering and to be perfectly honest I have no idea how they will fair under this. Also remembering your other thread I am unsure of how hot they will get.

Hopefully someone else who knows better will advise.

Totally-braindead 12:19 07 May 2006

Looking again at the link I gave you for the Dell they are DVD writers, CD writers may be say £20 cheaper perhaps but I couldn't find a link for one.

rachel84 12:20 07 May 2006

thanks - thats not as bad as I thought - I thought it was more like €1000 to replace. I've been told by some one who works with things like this that there is a limited chance of destroying the drives so I could probably deal with that cost - buying external drives and laop top coolers might prove to be more expensive. thanks again

Totally-braindead 12:37 07 May 2006

rachel84 the price I quoted is just for the parts. If the laptop allows the removal of the CD or DVD from the outside of the case then you could easily replace them yourself if they failed. But if they were built in and you had to strip the laptop to replace it you would have to get an engineer to do it and that would cost a lot.

I am not the best to advise on this sort of thing. I took an old laptop apart a couple of years ago to repair it, managed it but it was incredibly fiddly took me a couple of days to repair and reassemble and to be honest I wouldn't do it again. Desktop computers are easy, laptops are differcult plus the parts are not generally interchangeable between makes.

Not trying to put you off or anything just trying to clarify things. I would say that replacement of a failed CD or DVD by an engineer would cost at least £200 a machine probably a lot more.

rachel84 13:05 07 May 2006

is there any way to tell whether it is buit in - just looking at my lap top i cant easily tell.

pj123 13:31 07 May 2006

Can't promise, but I have two friends who both repair laptops.

Can you say what model laptops you have or will be using and I will ask their opinions.

rachel84 14:02 07 May 2006

two acer lap tops 4501LMi and one sony model PCG-8L2M. thanks for your help!

De Marcus™ 14:03 07 May 2006

Would 3 of these click here not save you the worry of breaking someone else's writer?

A replacement drive can cost in the region of £50-£60 and that's for a DVD-+RW, strangely enough cd-rw drives are less common and therefore more expensive click here

Factor in that most drives are generic slimline (slot loading or drawer) and relatively easy to fit, but finding out if the models you have and whether or not could be replaced with a generic one is by all means another matter. I changed a drive in a Toshiba laptop without even thinking about it and luckily the layout was the same.

Totally-braindead 14:08 07 May 2006

Original thread click here another thread in absolute beginners click here

Totally-braindead 14:52 07 May 2006

From the other thread "totally braindead - sorry - this forum is really good - I've been trying lots over the past few days often with no response - the two posts was to maximise the possibility of a reply. Its an installtion piece so the physical computers, doss screen etc. is v. important. Im using piezo transducers to amplify the sound inside a cd-drive- when it writes and erases using a contact microphone like a piezo sounder plugged into a mixer/amp theres a lot of different sounds. thanks for all your help - i think i'll try to connect them to the external drive as well as the main body and see what kind of sound I get. thanks once more for all your help." this is really quite confusing to me jumping between threads like this.

I don't pretend to understand what you are trying to achieve here and theres no real point in trying to explain it to me as I'm certain I wouldn't understand. But from what you say I think all you are using is the sound of the CD writer when burning to do whatever you are doing. If this is the case then I really don't see why you can't just sample the burning, albeit as a long sample so it doesn't sound the same all the way through then play that back. As regards the screen you can display anything you like while playing back the sound file.

Good luck anyway with whatever you are doing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?