Cd burning problems

triflesterms 11:33 31 Oct 2003

Hi

Ive just installed a cd writer combo the first disc i burned was ok besides one track, it was skipping & missing bits throughout, also i copied a cd & got scratchy noises over some of the tracks, im new to all this so i have no idea how to prevent these 2 problems happening again.

Hope you can help.

Steve

triflesterms 11:44 31 Oct 2003

forgot to mention cd rw doesnt work in my cd player????

Thanx

kuhbler 11:45 31 Oct 2003

Might help to lower the burn speed, make sure that you are caching the original CD to disk before copying it, not "on the fly".

It is possible as well that the disc you were coping onto was not capable of burning properly at the speed you were burning.

What software are you using and what are your system specs?

MjM Hellfire 11:50 31 Oct 2003

Try copying images of the cd's you are copying to the hard-drive(HD) first, then burn from the HD the image you have just copied.

Burning images is less prone to problems as well.

As above, try burning at 4x then 8x ect to see if lower speeds are better.

triflesterms 11:56 31 Oct 2003

is caching the same as copying?
im using nero express,im not to sure how to change the speed??
Do u know why cd rw doesnt work in my cd player to?

Thanx

plsndrs3 11:59 31 Oct 2003

Some CD burners are tempermental - they simply do not like certain brands and do not recognise the CD in the drive or have issues buring. Some have even been known not to like the software being used, although this is rare. Others seem to work on anything that is used!

I had a similar problem a while ago & it was corrected simply by changing the media I was using. The strange thing is that I actually changed from a good, high street recognised product to a cheap bulk purchased product from the Internet - yet everything has been OK.

The CD-R supplier I used sold 'multi-packs' - packs of 50 CDs comprising 10 lots of 5 of a specific brand. I used this & worked out which were best in my burner, then bought 100. No problems to date!

Regards,

Paul

plsndrs3 11:59 31 Oct 2003

Some CD burners are tempermental - they simply do not like certain brands and do not recognise the CD in the drive or have issues buring. Some have even been known not to like the software being used, although this is rare. Others seem to work on anything that is used!

I had a similar problem a while ago & it was corrected simply by changing the media I was using. The strange thing is that I actually changed from a good, high street recognised product to a cheap bulk purchased product from the Internet - yet everything has been OK.

The CD-R supplier I used sold 'multi-packs' - packs of 50 CDs comprising 10 lots of 5 of a specific brand. I used this & worked out which were best in my burner, then bought 100. No problems to date!

Regards,

Paul

triflesterms 12:05 31 Oct 2003

aahhh i see, can u recomend any cd rw discs that might work in my cd player & any decent cd r discs?
im not to sure about makes etc.

Thanx

kuhbler 12:05 31 Oct 2003

It's possible that your CD player cannot read CD-RWs. Try burning to a CD-R and Finalising (not allow any more data to be written on the disc). This may let you play it. Never finalise a CD-RW as this will stop you from being able to re-use the CD-RW disc. If this doesn't work in your CD Player then it looks as though your CD player isn't compatible with CD-R or CD-RWs.

When you are copying a CD to CD there is an option to cache the CD to the Hard Drive before burning. Make sure you do this as this could be causing the problems when you playback the copied CD.

plsndrs3 12:12 31 Oct 2003

Even broadband can lock up sometimes ;o)

triflesterms 12:13 31 Oct 2003

Does cache mean record?
Is nero express the best software to use for cd burning?
Also i have a mp3 file that is over 80min long is there any way to trim the mp3 file so that it will fit?
I tried extending time already but it still wont accept burn.

Thanx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017