CCTV system advice please?

hiwatt 14:34 23 Jan 2014

Hi folks Not strictly a PC question but we are looking for a new CCTV DVR recorder to replace the old JPEG 2000 standalone which is getting a bit old now and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a fairly decent DVR system? There are a few "no name" ones on ebay but I'm not sure how the quality would be. I don't really know anything about cameras/CCTV systems so any help/advice would be much appreciated.P.s for anyone who knows about these is there much difference between these 2 at all? click here

http://www.bigbrothersystems.com/p/8-channel-h264-dvr-full-d1-recording-1tb-hdmi-1920-x-1080-resolution-full-hd-vga-tv-out-577.php

spuds 14:58 23 Jan 2014

I have just selected and purchased the Kongtop (good reviews) which is the same or very similar to the unit you have in your link. It as both the visual and sound connections, others on eBay may not, so best to check at the lower price range items on sale for this specification. Mentioning lower price range, I paid £58.86 delivered next day, no hard-drive fitted. You might also find that the sellers are using different trading names, but are the same company outlets?.

You will also need a hard-drive, and the purchase and size of this will depend on what limits you are wanting for recording. I purchased a 2TB drive from Ebuyer, but for the difference in price, might pay to order direct from the recorder supplier, already fitted.

If you require new camera's then look at Ebuyer Quickcode 429696 to see if they fit the bill. Great value and I doubt if you will better the price. They come complete with long leads ready to fit the recorder!.

hiwatt 15:11 23 Jan 2014

Thanks Spuds.Ccould you possibly supply a link to it please? I would opt to have the hard drive fitted.1TB should be sufficient. What about the 2nd link from bigbrothersystems has anyone ever dealt with them?They do not accept paypal though.Only credit/debit cards wich is slightly off putting. At the moment it's just the DVR recorder that's needed. Thanks.

Woolwell 15:18 23 Jan 2014

I think that rdave13 if he is around, usually is, may be the best person to respond.

hiwatt 15:18 23 Jan 2014

I found one here click here £116.89 with a 1TB HDD fitted? What do you think of the quality though?Do you think it would be worth paying a bit more for this one click here which is £203.99.Apparently the only DVR in the UK that uses 1200TVL?

hiwatt 15:19 23 Jan 2014

Thanks woolwell.Hopefully he can advise me.

spuds 15:27 23 Jan 2014

hiwatt

Looks like the seller I purchased from as reduced their price from £58.86 to £54.99 delivered, since I made the purchase. Try 360778178519 on eBay search, for the item I selected.

As I said earlier, it would appear that some seller's are using more than one name or outlet (check city locations). Also check their full listings for different services and prices. Make sure though that you check specifications before placing an order, the rear connections might not have sound or different attachments on some models. If your camera's do not have sound, then I would still suggest that you purchase, and have sound in reserve for later. The same applies to connections, I chose 8 connections.

I know nothing about the second link company, so cannot help you there!.

hiwatt 18:29 24 Jan 2014

Spuds what is the quality like of the one you purchased?£55 for a CCTV DVR system sounds really cheap.Obviously it's not gonna be "top of the range" but does it do it's job ok? Is the footage clear and does it back up ok? The system I'm looking for is to record/protect a business so looking for something half decent that will work. That link to the big brother systems one sounds ok but they don't accept paypal so it would be good to hear if anyone has ever heard of or dealt with them? Once again thanks folks!

wee eddie 19:44 24 Jan 2014

I gather from your previous post that you will be using the CCTV on a Commercial Premises. There is nothing wrong with that.

However you will need to look into the Legal side of things. The Data will need to be encrypted and someone Registered with the Authorities.

Otherwise you could end up with egg on your face.

woodchip 20:16 24 Jan 2014

Maplin as on offer this month Swan and Sentient CCTV Swan are good but not cheap both 20% off this month

hiwatt 22:31 24 Jan 2014

Thank you woodchip.I have looked at their website and although there is quite a few models out of stock they have them in a store fairly near to me.I will definitely check them out.Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone