cContext menu -send to. RAW files and odd things

Kenneth-266656 12:14 11 Nov 2005

A recent posting by 'daz03' 'Copying photos on XP' brought a response from 'bruno' to right click and in the context menu send to. Just out of curiosity I thought I would try it with a batch of 80 jepg's. Pure curiosity because I have an external HD for backup. Put CD-R in drive and went ahead - thought this is quick!. Finished up by selecting the final 20 or so as a group - still almost instant. Thought this is to good to be true. Right clicked for properties in CD_RW drive (F in my case)- up came dialog box File system RAW - Used space 0MB - Free space 702MB. Whoops no files! Then selected CD-R F drive to get list up and sure enough there they all were.
Selected all and right clicked for properties and got response 80 files in 0 folders 75.7MB.
At this stage I thought what the heck if I'm not careful I'm going to end up having to do a system restore. Ejected CD-R and up come MS Wizard telling me the files haven't been written yet do I want to write them. Went ahead and was told location they were being written from was D/Documents and settings\Ken\Local settings. After write was finished tried CD it workeed perfectly with 75.7MB of jpeg's written on it. Opened up Explorer to file path stated above - Local settins was a hidden system file which I un-hid and it was empty but obviously had contained all those files presumably in RAW format. Went on to several sites for info on RAW files. A lot of people seem quite confused over them. On one site it was stated that there is no set format for RAW files - they are just files that MS doesn't recognise. I would just be interested in knowing what are RAW files - what is their primary use and why MS just didn't put the jpeg's into Local settings as temporary files. Presumably its just an easy way of transfering very large files prior to writing a CD-R. Hope I get some responses because I'm quite interested to know

Kenneth-266656 17:21 12 Nov 2005

Bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?