CCleaner Issues

Dekka123 01:14 17 Jan 2006

Hi All
I run windows XP Pro with SP2. I run CCleaner on a daily basis and all of a sudden I have three issues that CCleaner can not fix. The issues are as follows: (1)ActiveX/Com Issue HKCR\MailFileAtt. (2)ActiveX/Com Issue HKCR\Mapitvbx.Object (3)ActiveX/Com Issue HKCR\Mapitvbx.Object1 CCleaner tells me it has fixed the issues but they just keep returning. My PC seems to be working ok but I would like to get rid of them. Would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Totally-braindead 01:16 17 Jan 2006

I run ccleaner about once every 3 to 4 weeks not daily.

Dekka123 01:25 17 Jan 2006

Totally-braindead Thanks for the reply but how does it help my problem.

Skyver 01:32 17 Jan 2006

Either run CCleaner in Safe Mode, or check what extra toolbars are installed with Internet Explorer.

Totally-braindead 01:33 17 Jan 2006

Is this actually a problem? I wonder if this may be glitch in ccleaner in that it is somehow trying to remove files which are in use or needed. Just out of curiousity I'm away to try my ccleaner now and see what it says, I presume its the registry part of ccleaner you're using is it?

Totally-braindead 01:38 17 Jan 2006

Run both cleaner and issues and my PC has come up with nothing about ActiveX at all.

Dekka123 01:40 17 Jan 2006

Totally-braindead it is the registry part I am using I have even reinstalled it with no luck. Skyver I have Yahoo and Google toolbar installed but I have uninstalled them without success. Thanks both for your time.

Skyver 01:46 17 Jan 2006

Both yahoo and google are benign obviously, if you're really desperate to remove the `problems` load RegEdit (start menu/run, type `regedit`) and navigate to HKEY Current User/Local Machine, MailFileAtt or similar and look for anything unfamiliar - you can export the `key` before deleting if you're not sure and double click the saved .reg file to re-enter it if removal causes problems.

Skyver 01:47 17 Jan 2006

I'm not recommending you edit the registry by the way, it can render your system un-usable.

Dekka123 01:56 17 Jan 2006

Thanks for your reply Skyver I think I will leave well alone as I dont feel confident going into the registry. What really bothers me though is I did a free scan on bug doctor and it found the activeX files and said they were high risk. They wanted cash to remove them.

Skyver 01:59 17 Jan 2006

Social engineering, ignore /anything/ that asks for payment to fix a problem. There are always benevolent and talented people providing free tools to do a better job, if the `problem` needs fixing at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?