Ccleaner and IE explorer on W7

alsho 22:30 08 Apr 2014

I use Ccleaner on W7 on my laptop, which appears to work quite well, however the first block of items are always IE Explorer . I do not use this for the internet, preferring to use Chrome. Does this mean that IE is running itself in the background without my knowledge?

jaywoo 23:36 08 Apr 2014

No, CCleaner's list of applications is the same no matter what software you favour.

alsho 07:58 09 Apr 2014

Thank you for the response, but sorry I do not understand.Why is it finding IE results when it is not being used?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:53 09 Apr 2014

It will be used if you are on autoupdates, MS will be downloading updates in the background using IE

alsho 07:42 11 Apr 2014

OK, but the files found by CCleaner do not appear to be update files, they are more temporary internet files ending in .tmp, .jpg and gif and .xml . Surely these are not updates?

alsho 07:43 11 Apr 2014

OK, but the files found by CCleaner do not appear to be update files, they are more temporary internet files ending in .tmp, .jpg and gif and .xml . Surely these are not updates?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:22 11 Apr 2014

No but the process of downloading updates will produce those type files.

Batch 14:04 11 Apr 2014

What email software are you using?

I don't know if it the same with W7, but with XP, Outlook Express (i.e. the default email app) used the IE Temporary Files for HTML email stuff. Wouldn't surprise me if similar happens under W7.

But as others have indicated, Windows Update may well be using IE elements as part of its process, which may also lead to Temporary Internet File usage.

alsho 15:18 11 Apr 2014

Emails are via Windows Live Mail, but thank you for replies anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?