cccleaner

norrisnovice 19:03 05 May 2011

i use cc cleaner along side spybot i have used it for a while and it seems ok but on doing some research i find theirs mixed opinions on it so i wonder what any one else on here thinks

chub_tor 19:16 05 May 2011

I have used CCleaner for many years now, never had a problem with it, I run it two or three times a week, have never saved any of the Registry changes it recommends and I find it the safest of all the tools I use. I dropped Spybot in favour of Malwarebytes but in the time I used Spybot it was trouble free as long as I disabled TeaTimer.

mooly 08:07 06 May 2011

I used to used CC... but following a clean install I find Windows own housekeeping tools do a good job. Investigate the more advanced features inbuilt into Vista and W7.

When I used CC (I'm thinking of the registry cleaner) I used to get the odd unexplained issue that required detective work to fix, reseting reg keys, deleting and rebuilding this or that file.

From all I have read, I believe the registry for a normal user is best left alone... and a few dozen, a few hundred even "registry errors" that CC or similar may identify are in practice a non issue and who's to say that key may not be needed in future.

As an Acronis user I have on odd occasions installed CC and seen what it would free up over using the more advanced Windows tools. Not a lot is the answer...

As always with anything like this YMMV :)

sunnystaines 08:14 06 May 2011

same as chub_tor

onthelimit1 10:42 06 May 2011

I uninstalled Spybot after it seemed to be slowing my PC badly. All been OK since I got rid!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?