CBA external hard drive

sharkyy 11:27 22 Apr 2010

Hi
I have just got a 120GB external hard drive. I pluged it into the USB slot. My pc said it detected new hardware but it did not do anything else ! i have pluged it in again but althou the pc beeps, nothing comes up and i cant find the External drive on my comp or my devices. The hard drive works on my daughters lap top so i know its not the hard drive.
I am running
P4 xp service pack 3 and have 550w power supply.
Can any one help ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:09 22 Apr 2010

With drive removed

Refresh USB Ports
Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here

then plug in drive and see if it installs new hardware

sharkyy 10:31 23 Apr 2010

Hi Fruit Bat.
Thanks for the advice. I ran CLEAN UP and then pluged the hard drive in. It loaded the settings and said it was now ready to use but when i went into my computer, the drive was not there and i cant find it any where.

Rahere 10:33 23 Apr 2010

did you remove the drive correctly from the other PC - 'safely remove drive' rather than pull the plug?

sharkyy 11:03 23 Apr 2010

HI. i removed the drive "safely" and the drive powers straight from the usb port, no external power. Would i be able to turn the pc on with the hard drive pluged in safely seeing that it runs off the power from the usb port ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:33 23 Apr 2010

Usually better to plug in afterwards as your BIOS may be set to boot from "otherdevices".
Sometimes having and external drive plugged in can cause boot problems.

If it is "USB powered" make sure the drive is plugged into one of the USB ports at the rear of the machine direct off the motherboard.

If still not working try through a powered hub.

sharkyy 12:07 23 Apr 2010

Thanks. I have tried the port at the back of the machine and no joy. also, the hard drive cable comes with two usb connectors for low powered pc's. i have tried both connectors in the ports both separatly and together but with no joy.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:22 23 Apr 2010

Right click My comupter - manage - storage - disk management.

Can you see the drive there?

sharkyy 12:35 23 Apr 2010

no its not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?