Caution for those that tinker

howard64 09:27 05 Apr 2010

I have a spare adsl modem for testing purposes when asked to check out problems for people. I noticed a severe drop in my broadband speed from the normal around 7MB to 1.5MB. On investigation I found that I had left my spare modem plugged into the phone line in my workroom. This was not connected to the power and I would have thought it would have had no effect on my phone line. With it unplugged I was back up to my normal speed. There is still a lot to learn even with my age and years of experience. I have had a pc at home since 1975 and still get caught out now and again. Have a good Bank Holiday all.

sunnystaines 09:32 05 Apr 2010

even another phone plugged in can affect speed too.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:49 05 Apr 2010

anything plugged in and not on a filter will cause problems.

We've all do something simular, I had booting problems messed for hours and finally decide I need to do a repair install from CD. Opened the drive to insert XP CD to find a blank CD in there, this was the cause of booting problem, booted OK with no blank in the drive.

howard64 11:55 05 Apr 2010

yes Fruit Bat /\0/\ know what you are saying but this modem was connected with a filter - I know no other way of connecting a modem without one.

lotvic 13:00 05 Apr 2010

I'll have to go round checking all mine, am only getting just over half a meg when I used to get 2+ meg
Router is plugged into master socket via a filter
(had new master socket fitted 5 months ago)

howard64 14:38 05 Apr 2010

lotvic if your system is correctly wired removing the bottom half of the master plate removes all your extension wiring and just leaves the line -worth a try.

morddwyd 08:34 06 Apr 2010

Filters are not failure proof.

It might be worthwhile substituting each filter one at a time.

lotvic 23:34 06 Apr 2010

Yep, tried that, no difference so must be old copper wires from there to exchange or a problem along the way at one of junctions.
Things do wear out, will await BTOutreach checking of line.
At least I now know it's not my internal wiring etc.

howard64 09:48 07 Apr 2010

yes lotvic it is comforting to prove that it is external also if it turns out to be your internal stuff you may be charged for the callout

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache