Causes of poor broadband

nobbyhigo 11:01 12 Mar 2006

hi
my son in law is having a lot of trouble with the speed of his broadband, on tests with the server they say that it is fine, however googling takes forever and sometimes the conection drops, and yet my service with the same provider a mile away is great , we renewed lines no effect it is still recieving the same 2.3 ,same as mine which is ok..The question could the pc be at fault, is it possible with a pentium2 pro.
he is running xp but everything used to be ok on this o.s. do viruses effect it any advice before we try formating
regards Pat

The Old Mod 11:04 12 Mar 2006

Hi, I would say one of the causes could be the external line/connections, another is distance of those lines, if he keeps getting problems, try and get those checked. I doubt if the PC is at fault.

woodchip 11:07 12 Mar 2006

first thing to check is BT line if that's what you are on

Jackcoms 11:10 12 Mar 2006

"it is still recieving the same 2.3".

Which is, in fact, the maximum speed that your local exchange/modem is capable of. Nothing more, nothing less.

For an accurate speed check click here

nobbyhigo 11:23 12 Mar 2006

as i say he is getting 2.3 the same as me and i have no problems on diagnostics input output it is the same as mine , maybe i ought to just try his pc on my line
regards Pat

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?