Is This Caused by Sky Broadband

Sharpamatt 05:49 23 Feb 2006

A friend has just been in touch with major problems after installing sky broad band, ( which allows you to download movies to your own system but not to burn them to a disc )

From installation she has not been able to open her C Drive, cannot restore to an earlier date, any extras like MP3 Player are neither recognised or can be updated.. even attempting to open folders ( which she stored her music on ) is impossible as the folder does activated WMP but will not otherwise open

Un installing has not altered this.

Has anyone experienced similar problems, or any suggestions how to overcome this?

dms05 08:07 23 Feb 2006

It sounds very much like DRM (Digital Rights Management) issues. I'm sure Sky has very tight DRM settings and your problems seem to related to this. Have you asked Sky - they must be aware that this type of conflict will occur.

MidgetMan 08:35 23 Feb 2006

There are quite a few forums around that discuss sky by broadband, as it is a p2p programme it can cause a few problems like slowing everything down etc, not heard of these kinds of probs with it though. The uninstalling of it has defo not got rid of it all though, it leave a few files that always run in the background, you can d/load a small programme that gets rid of most of it but the best way is to also edit the registry, this is something sky keep very quite about, and indeed you have to look very closely at the t/c's to even find out it is peer to peer.

click here

for some reading the answers you need are properly in there.

Sharpamatt 08:15 25 Feb 2006

As I said its a friends system and they are to far for me to look, however by the lack of responce, its clear this has either not been covered, or no one can suggest any cures.

Whilst it has been possable to un-install the Sky Broadband, it is impossable to get into the C Drive to deleat any files left over.

We do know that this is linked to WMP 10 so the next step will be to remove that, however its getting into the drive with the OS on it thats still a problem.

This could be done from DOS however they dont have the expertise.

Without anyone else having had this problem its still unknown as to if this has been cause by the installation of the Sky Broadband or is some other cause is there.

Sharpamatt 07:07 26 Feb 2006

This is clearly a subject that no help can be offered on resulation so I shall close it as un resolved

Roadgiant 07:29 26 Feb 2006

Sorry can't help you on other problems, but I found my system appearing to slow down after installing Sky Broadband, it is quite difficult to completly remove.
Here's a link to instructions how to completly remove it that seemed to work ok for me :-click here

Sharpamatt 14:45 26 Feb 2006

many thanks Roadgiant, I have passed this on. but as you say its very hard to remove..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires