catastrphic failure...?

nick_j007 00:00 18 Apr 2003

Just had a slight fright (evening all BTW) did a system restore on my Windows XP home system and when opening my pictures it said (sorry failed to note it down) something about some files and then below CATASTROPHIC FAILURE. I clicked OK, and it went on as normal.
What's all that about then? Never seen it before, and it makes me want to run for a CD ROM to do some backing up of my treasured pic's.

All thoughts greatfully appreciated.

Cheers, Nick

MAJ 00:07 18 Apr 2003

Would need to see what the error message was, nick_j007, but backup those "treasured pic's" anyway, just in case.

nick_j007 00:14 18 Apr 2003

Ok MAJ. Sorry I failed to note it I went into a phase of trying to keep calm and actually got into a mild flap over it.
Does the term 'Catastrophic failure' sound legit. to you as I wondered if it were a prank or something?

Nick

MAJ 00:32 18 Apr 2003

It's legit all right, nick_j007, it's one of those fantastically descriptive and helpful (not) error messages that Windows uses. That's why I was wondering what the other error message was to see if any light could be shed on it.

nick_j007 09:10 18 Apr 2003

Ok MAJ thanks.

Have backed up the pics this morning and as far as I can see there are no after effects of this message.
Can I go somewhere on the system that keeps a log of such catastrophic messages and re read it or investigate further.
Finally, does catastrophic mean catastrophic if you get my drift?

Nick.

MAJ 09:34 18 Apr 2003

Take a look at the Event Viewer by going to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event viewer and double click the entries in the right-hand pane, nick_j007, see if you can spot anything in there. It seems that Catastrophic doesn't actually mean CATASTROPHIC.

nick_j007 09:47 18 Apr 2003

Had a look through all that MAJ and I can see nothing to be concerned about that ties in with the time and date of it occuring.
Put it down to experience then?

Nick

PS> Thanks for your reply this morning. Any further replies from you I shall read later. I am getting ready for a BBQ here for lunch....and dare I say, a beer or two?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone