Catalyst Control Centre

mike1967 18:54 08 Jul 2006

Anyone had experience of this, I downloaded from the ATI website, but all it does is cause problems and slows down the PC

Any other way to download new drivers or anyone got good experiences of using it.

ade.h 19:23 08 Jul 2006

"...all it does is cause problems and slows down the PC."

Yes, it can be a pain. You can uninstall it and just leave your driver.

Mr Beeline 21:18 08 Jul 2006

Not too sure why a lot of people see it as a pain? It's only really a replacement for the original control applet and later versions appear fine to me. As long as you have the latest version of Microsoft's .NET framework and install the CCC correctly, there should not be any problems. As to slowing down your PC, I'm not too sure how that could be? The CCC doesn't run all the time, only when you request it.

mike1967 23:26 08 Jul 2006

So how do you mean install it correctly?

And it does run all the time

Stuartli 23:35 08 Jul 2006

If you just use the driver you may not be able to ensure a refresh rate of 85MHz (the best all round configuration for the majority of users to reduce flicker and thus eye strain); without the CC it could only be the basic 60MHz on a CRT.

Once you have installed and configured the Catalyst Centre it should only be available from the Taskbar icon.

By the way, I'm assuming you are using the latest driver (6.6) with the latest version of the Catalyst Centre?

It's worth reading up the excellent TweakGuide to graphics cards and drivers installation at:

click here

There's also one for nVidia cards.

ade.h 23:39 08 Jul 2006

The version that I had on one desktop and one laptop (both cards dating from last autumn) would run at startup unless told otherwise by removing it from msconfig and disabling another part of it from services.msc.

Wouldn't know about any refresh rate issue, Stuartli. I got shot of my CRTs a long time ago. They give me eyestrain, no matter how they're configured.

mike1967 23:47 08 Jul 2006

Yeah was using the up to date version, tried it on both PCs but like I said caused loads of problems, used to take an age to boot up

Mike D 08:46 09 Jul 2006

I too find the ccc a bit of a pain. I now use Omega versions of the drivers. He tends to be i version behind, but they are tweaked (probably no more than I could do myself, if I had the patience and time) and do perform well

click here

Mike

Mike D 08:48 09 Jul 2006

edit: "He tends to be 1 version behind"

Stuartli 10:27 09 Jul 2006

Why not use ATi Tray Tools instead of the Catalyst Centre?

I've switched to this 944kb alternative to CC (late last night in fact!) and it does, it would appear, all that CC does with a fraction of the resources:

click here

mike1967 10:43 09 Jul 2006

Well thanks for the help, it does seem that noone has a good word for the CCC, I think i'll give Stuartli idea a go sometime today

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?