From cassettes to UBS sticks?

Mr. Chips 16:55 27 Dec 2007

Folks,
My audio system packed up over Xmas and I have intentionally purchased a new one without cassette playing capability.

I have a few cassettes that I would like to get into mp3 files so that I can keep them ... mainly family events, kids, and stuff .. irreplaceable really.

I have tried to use the applications that come with the PC, etc, but I can't seem to find aything that will allow attachment from an old Sony Walkman (line out) to PC (line in) and save as an mp3 ready for transfer to a USB memory stick.

I am sure that there are many ways of doing something like this, but after 4 hours of looking, I have come nowhere near.

Any ideas please?

Technotiger 17:03 27 Dec 2007

Have you tried iTunes? click here

Mr. Chips 17:05 27 Dec 2007

No not yet Technotiger ... but it is down-loading now! ... many thanks

Technotiger 17:13 27 Dec 2007

I am not sure if iTunes will play Tapes directly, but if you can hear the Tapes on your PC then you should be able to import into iTunes, which automatically converts music imports to mp3.

Mr. Chips 17:35 27 Dec 2007

Hi TechnoTiger.
I have looked at the iTunes application, but I can't see how I can import from the Walkman using the 'line in' jack on my PC.

I must say though .... that once that is sorted out, the application looks like a peach to work with.

regards

Technotiger 17:53 27 Dec 2007

I use iTunes as my default music player on the PC.

You might also need something like this ... click here

Diemmess 18:03 27 Dec 2007

I think your real problem is transferring good sound from the Walkman to your PC.
The problem is matching output from the walkman to the expected input to your PC line in
Once that is sorted the rest as you say should follow.

Go the iTunes way if that suits best, or there are other alternatives like free Audacity which will allow simple editing and export as Mp3

Technotiger 18:06 27 Dec 2007

I agree with Diemmess, I had forgotten Audacity.

click here

octal 18:33 27 Dec 2007

Audacity will do it. click here

It will record anything that goes through the sound card and export it as MP3, you will have to install Lame as well but there is a link on the site.

octal 18:34 27 Dec 2007

Bit late replying there, just had dinner and didn't refresh the page :)

Mr. Chips 09:23 28 Dec 2007

Thank you .... all of you, for giving up your time to help me.

Everything is now copasetic.

Fortunately, it isn't music that I want to copy from the tapes, just ancient family stuff which I don't want to lose as technology leaps from Cassettes right through to memory sticks!

I now, thanks to your assistance, have all that I need.

I wish you all a prosperous and healthy New Year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?